Mower deck Lubrication of spindles and collection blower

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Troops,
I have a Scag Tiger Cub with a 48" deck and a collection system. The deck spindles on this machine have grease fittings and a relief valve on the opposite side. My manual calls for lube at 40 hour intervals and a special grease. The 40 hour interval conflicts with my 25 and 50 hour engine oil changes and I sometimes forget, so I have been doing them at 50 hour intervals when I change the engine oil filter. This is an important lubrication to perform as the spindles get lots of RPM and abuse while mowing. My local Scag dealer stocks Shell Alvania grease in tubes and this is what I use. I also have a 90 degree grease adapter which makes this job easier. On the rest of the machine I use chassis grease whatever I have in that grease gun which is usually Ford compatable grease.
I did find that there is a pillow block bearing grease available specifically for this type of bearing, but I haven't been able to find it yet. I have pillow block type bearings on my wood chipper.
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing:

sss

Threads
IT SHOULD BE FINE EVERY 50 HOURS MINE ONLY GETS DONE ONCE A YEAR:biggrin:

guest2

Threads
Any High Temperature Water resistant grease will do fine. Lithium Complex, or any complex base grease will give you the high temp water resistance properties needed.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Any grease that will cope at high temperatures and keep moisture out would be fine for the job.

Sammy the Red

Threads
As long as it is NLGI Grade 2, you will be just fine.