LTX1040

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
13AX90AS010
part of the yard I mow is near a inground moneypit pool, the ground is sort of crowned for water to flow down when it rains, and is a bit on the steep side..
To prevent grass from blowing in the pool, I mow with the chute facing away from the pool, I turn the safety bypass mow in reverse button on. Since the hill is fairly short vertically, and long horizontally, I mow parallel to the pool, and when I back up on the crown of the hill, where it's steepest ONLY in reverse, the right rear tire will stop moving, and the left will spin.. I can shift my weight to the left side and it will gain traction and go, but it's fairly awkward to do... And I don't think I've gained any weight from last spring.
It never used to do this, the drive belt is OEM MTD belt, 2 seasons old, and the secondary belt is OEM MTD 2 seasons old also. It pulls uphill just fine, no problem at all and has good speed.
It's not a pressing issue, just like some ideas that may be causing it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is just a traction problem. Tires probably have lost some their grip as that mower is at least 6 -10 yrs old. The differential is a normal automobile type that allow each wheel to move at different rates depending on the turning involved so that it not dragging one wheel over the other. Prevents both tearing the lawn and tire wear.

What you having to do is something I do along the ditch by the road here. I actually sit on the sit with my split on the side that is higher and I weigh 250 lbs. It not comforty but could be worst there could be no padding. That is just adding weight to side that losing traction. New tires might help or simply getting a mower with a locking differential (manual or auto locking).

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I figured it might be tires, Thanks StarTech.!