LTX1040 won't move when accelerator pedal is depressed

HunterR

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / LTX1040 won't move when accelerator pedal is depressed
I’ll be interested to know if replacing the belts is the fix. I’ve been having the same issue. My mechanic claims it’s not the belts but a problem with the vari drive itself. Said it’s a common Issue with Cub Cadets. He ordered a new variable drive shaft and replaced it. The accelerator pedal worked fine for a while but now I’m having the issue again.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Personally I’ve never changed a variable drive shaft. Most common cause is worn belts or variable drive shive is not moving and needs a little lube. A few times I’ve had broken tensioner spring.

Weedkiller

Forum Newbie
Threads
When you pull the belts, check the pullies. Mine were noisy so they were replaced, along with the belts. Drives great now. Stay safe.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Personally I’ve never changed a variable drive shaft. Most common cause is worn belts or variable drive shive is not moving and needs a little lube. A few times I’ve had broken tensioner spring.
Well I have once replaced the in the shaft in a variable pulley assembly because the needle bearings failed. On that particular one MTD didn't offer the shaft separately so I had one machined to fit. Two years later the customer is still using the mower.
HunterR said:
I’ll be interested to know if replacing the belts is the fix. I’ve been having the same issue. My mechanic claims it’s not the belts but a problem with the vari drive itself. Said it’s a common Issue with Cub Cadets. He ordered a new variable drive shaft and replaced it. The accelerator pedal worked fine for a while but now I’m having the issue again.
It is possible that mechanic that change the shaft but didn't replace the needle bearings.

HarmonySeeker

Threads
Do the following:
Go get a beer and pour it into one of your finest draught glasses.
Bring up YouTube. Enter 'LTX 1040 transmission' in the search bar.
Watch a few of the videos.
Weep bitterly into your beer. The salty tears improve flavor.

Weedkiller

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update. New belts/pullies fixed it for a week. Then back to not pulling. It will move about two feet and stop each time the pedal is depressed. It moves great in reverse but that's not much help. So far I'm out $200. A condo is starting to look nice.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you check the two idler pulleys and tensioner arm when you installed the belt.pulleys may be worn or arm may not be moving freely to keep tension on the belt.

Weedkiller

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you check the two idler pulleys and tensioner arm when you installed the belt.pulleys may be worn or arm may not be moving freely to keep tension on the belt.
The idler pulleys were replaced and the arm seemed to move pretty freely. Thanks.