LT2000 weird issue

Bodiewood

Forum Newbie
Threads
hey y’all…I have the weirdest issue I can’t seem to figure out. I have a Craftsman LT2000 mower with a 19.5 Hp Briggs & Stratton engine. I recently left the fuel line valve open after mowing and flooded it (unfortunately not the first time I forgot to turn close it after mowing). I drained the oil and changed the oil filter since the oil had gas in it. Also I pulled the spark plug and drained any gas in there. Then I pulled the carburetor and cleaned it throughout. Doing all these steps worked in the past but this time it didn’t. Now when I turn the fuel valve on and try to start it then it won’t start. However if I shut off the fuel valve and try and start it then it starts. Since the fuel line is closed of course it will only run until it runs out of fuel. It’s really strange…I have tried cleaning the carb several times thinking maybe it’s that but still does the same thing. It’s annoying because it starts great if I have the fuel valve off but of course again only until the fuel in the carb bowl is gone.
Any suggestions to help? I’ve been working on it for hours trying to figure out what the hell can cause the issue.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
my guess is when the valve is on, its getting too much fuel and choking "to death" and when you shut it off, it stops excesd fuel from flowing and letting it start.
Sounds to me like you need to replace the float needle in the carburetor. pretty simple.
post the model number of the engine (stamped on the valve cover) .

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Needle valve and/or fuel shutoff solenoid.

Bodiewood

Forum Newbie
Threads
my guess is when the valve is on, its getting too much fuel and choking "to death" and when you shut it off, it stops excesd fuel from flowing and letting it start.
Sounds to me like you need to replace the float needle in the carburetor. pretty simple.
post the model number of the engine (stamped on the valve cover) .
It’s model #917.289081 - Craftsman LT2000. What your saying is exactly what’s happening so I’m thinking your right I may need a new float needle. I’ve cleaned everything over and over in the carb with carb cleaner so maybe it’s just the needle needs to be replaced.

I did order a new carb off Amazon. Not sure if I can just pull the needle out on that since it’s not an OEM part. Here is what I got coming

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
That carb appears to be the correct one,

Bodiewood

Forum Newbie
Threads
That carb appears to be the correct one,
Well I tried replacing the float needle and also the fuel solenoid but it does the same thing. It’s like it’s not getting the right air/fuel mixture because when I stop fuel to it then it starts fine. Any other ideas? I could replace the entire carburetor but not sure if that would fix it.

efred

Threads
You say you ordered a new carb from Amazon? If so, why not just put it on? I hope you didn't tear the new carb apart just to steal the needle valve and seat.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
You say you ordered a new carb from Amazon? If so, why not just put it on? I hope you didn't tear the new carb apart just to steal the needle valve and seat.
Well I tried replacing the float needle and also the fuel solenoid but it does the same thing. It’s like it’s not getting the right air/fuel mixture because when I stop fuel to it then it starts fine. Any other ideas? I could replace the entire carburetor but not sure if that would fix it.
When you pulled the carb apart the main jet fell out and you lost it. Causing it not to meter the fuel going into the engine thus flooding it. It would be nice to see the model type and code no. of the engine where the problem lies. The lawn mower does not have a carb on it just the engine. The engine is the problem not the mower.