Export thread

LT 2000 WON'T START.

D

dukesoz

Hi all, I have craftsman 18.5 HP, mod# 31p777
type 0299e1
code 041004ze.
Fuel is flowing down to carb,( gravity fed) I have spark, engine turns over, but won't start, backfires when trying to start.
Fuel cap not blocked, put some fuel in carb, still no firing.

I cut grass for approx 45 mins, idled down to check grass catchers, and it cut out after a few seconds before the above problem.
Any ideas?

S

SeniorCitizen

Check compression

D

dukesoz

Check compression

Will do in the morning.

If no compression, what then?

S

SeniorCitizen

Will do in the morning.

If no compression, what then?
If no compression in the morning suspect a valve may be stuck open a little. But there is a possibility it will function just fine in the morning when cold but not when hot. We need to keep an open mind when diagnosing these little fellers.

D

dukesoz

Thanks Senior, I am busy today, will check out mower this PM, or tomorrow AM, and let you know what's what.

D

dukesoz

Hi Senior, I have compression.
Tried taking off carb, but the 2 small phillips head bolts holding it on, were so tight I was afraid I might ruin the slots.

I am going to NC for 2 weeks tomorrow, ( fishing :cool:) so I will worry about it when I get back.

Thanks again for your help.

dukesoz.

S

SeniorCitizen

That's certainly no time to be thinking about a stupid engine that won't start. To spice up this site a few fishing pics would be good.

J

jc56

Mine did that a few years ago and it was the key in the flywheel.50 cents to repair and a couple of hours labor.Easy fix.jc