Lt 1045 PTO ISSUES

Jstevo1507

Forum Newbie
Threads
So when my mower is running while sitting there and I engage my pto it acts like it can’t fully switch over to engage it, but when I give a little gas the and I engage the pto it runs fine. Also my back up button isn’t working that’s an easy replacement tho. Could the pto not working from a sitting position be from a weaken battery? Even though mine is new. Help please

evh

Threads
I would confirm your battery is good. The PTO needs a full charge to have it hold correctly.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First I doubt the battery is the issue as the engine's charging should taking over although a bad voltage regulator can be the problem as it won't be charging the battery or providing power to any of the other electrical systems.

It is more likely the PTO clutch is worn out and the LT1045 appears to have a non adjustable PTO clutch. It the air gap between the magnetic field and the rotor plate that causes problems of weak engagements. On adjustable clutches it is simple a matter of adjusting the air gap.

Another possible problem is a partially shorted PTO clutch fielding winding pulling so much current that it overrides the alternator output at idle, I have seen these clutches to pull as much as 20 amps and still be engaging. They normally pull under 7 amps max (usually closer to 3-5 amps) depending the clutch design.

Mower King

Threads
Always engage your PTO at full throttle.