lt 1000

blackchevy3de

Active Member
I have a craftsman lt1000 tractor model number 917-272680, with 17hp b s motor it cranks hard then starts and smokes blue for about 5mins clears up runs good , why the hard cranking and smoke .battery and starter are great shape thanks
 
The hard cranking is probably because the valves are out of adjustment, I set most Briggs to .006 on both, to set get engine to top dead center on compression stroke then turn engine 1/4 inch to the right to get past compression release.
The smoke could be piston rings are worn or valve guides are worn, I would not worry to much about a little smoke at start up, just make sure you check oil before each use and keep it to the full mark. (do not over fill)
 
The hard cranking is probably because the valves are out of adjustment, I set most Briggs to .006 on both, to set get engine to top dead center on compression stroke then turn engine 1/4 inch to the right to get past compression release.
The smoke could be piston rings are worn or valve guides are worn, I would not worry to much about a little smoke at start up, just make sure you check oil before each use and keep it to the full mark. (do not over fill)

I will adjust the valves thanks
 
I have a craftsman lt1000 tractor model number 917-272680, with 17hp b s motor it cranks hard then starts and smokes blue for about 5mins clears up runs good , why the hard cranking and smoke .battery and starter are great shape thanks

With these symptoms, I would check the oil level first. Whether over filled or gas leaked into crankcase, too much oil explains both hard to crank and burning oil when start.
 
Back
Top