LP Powered Mowers

Scooter_B123

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm considering purchase of and new LP powered mower to mow 11 acres per week. I would also like to use the unit to complete snow removal (snow blower and broom). Anyone have some guidance?

173abn

Threads
Scooter B123,welcome to LMF. Have you looked at any models?I know eXmark makes the Turf Tracer S-Series,Lazer Z X-Series and Lazer S-Series units.The Lazer Z Xseries uses a Kawasaki FX801v-twin Propane engine ,the L.Z S-Series uses the same engine in it's two models.The turf Tracer X-Series uses an F FX691V Kawasaki V-Twin Electric start Propane,the Turf Tracer S-Series uses an FX600V Kawasaki V-Twin elec start Propane and the Turf Tracer S-Series uses an FX600V-Twin Kawasaki electric start Propane. for 11 acres the first 3 series offers decks of 60",60"and 72" in that order.I paid 1.79 gal last dec for my home tank.I could'nt tell you w/o doing some more research how many gal. any of these models holds nor the acerage you could cut .Nor can I give you any kind of a price on any of the models mentioned but I suspect they aren't cheap.eXmark does have a web site that you could look at.also There are others that offer LP like Dixie Chopper that offer 2 models w/Generac LP engines that hold 2/71/2 tanks and have 60"&72" decks that cut 9acres an hour.again don't know the range on 15gal.russ

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Scooter B123,welcome to LMF. Have you looked at any models?I know eXmark makes the Turf Tracer S-Series,Lazer Z X-Series and Lazer S-Series units.The Lazer Z Xseries uses a Kawasaki FX801v-twin Propane engine ,the L.Z S-Series uses the same engine in it's two models.The turf Tracer X-Series uses an F FX691V Kawasaki V-Twin Electric start Propane,the Turf Tracer S-Series uses an FX600V Kawasaki V-Twin elec start Propane and the Turf Tracer S-Series uses an FX600V-Twin Kawasaki electric start Propane. for 11 acres the first 3 series offers decks of 60",60"and 72" in that order.I paid 1.79 gal last dec for my home tank.I could'nt tell you w/o doing some more research how many gal. any of these models holds nor the acerage you could cut .Nor can I give you any kind of a price on any of the models mentioned but I suspect they aren't cheap.eXmark does have a web site that you could look at.also There are others that offer LP like Dixie Chopper that offer 2 models w/Generac LP engines that hold 2/71/2 tanks and have 60"&72" decks that cut 9acres an hour.again don't know the range on 15gal.russ

News to me...I was unaware that any LP gas fueled mowers were available. Makes me wonder how often the engine makers for such equipment recommend oil changes...I mentioned in another post about the converted to LP gas forktruck I used to drive at my former job, the LP gas burned so clean the oil in the forklift took forever to get dirty. I am wondering if that fuel burns clean enough you could skip the oil changes once in a while.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
News to me...I was unaware that any LP gas fueled mowers were available. Makes me wonder how often the engine makers for such equipment recommend oil changes...I mentioned in another post about the converted to LP gas forktruck I used to drive at my former job, the LP gas burned so clean the oil in the forklift took forever to get dirty. I am wondering if that fuel burns clean enough you could skip the oil changes once in a while.

I, too, drove forklifts for about 10 years in varying jobs, and they all were LP. I asked the company doing the maintainence on them the very question you did, JD. Because the oil still looked new.

They said that although the oil doesn't see fuel in it like gasoline and diesels do, it still sees heat, and that is as much a contributor to the breakdown of the additives in the oil as raw fuel is. It still need changing, but at about twice the hourly frequency as gas/diesel. Another thing that breaks down is the multi-viscosity quality of the oil. The oil is still oily, but still needs changed.

I would imagine that a synthetic oil could be stretched out twice it's recommended interval, as well. But, that still will lose something over time to heat. What that something is, not sure....but I know synth lasts a lot longer than traditional multi-vis oil.:smile:

Scooter_B123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to all for your feedback! I found a LP model made by Ferris, but wasn't aware of the eXmark or Dixie models, thank you for that info Russ.

173abn

Threads
ScooterB123,just curious as to why propane?do you have a propane dealer close to you to get your tanks filled? russ

Scooter_B123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, we do have propane readily available and we have extra tanks onsite for our propane fueled forklift. I'm purchasing the mower for the company I work for. We mainly have diesel Grasshopper Mowers which we like, but we don't have room to store this unit inside our fire-rated garage. So my storage options are to store the unit outside, put it in a small utility shed, or use propane and store the unit in the building. The other factor is that we would like to go with a "greener" alternative when purchasing new equipment. Scott