Low lift blades

SHB

Threads
Purchased an EXmark radius with a 60” deck this last winter. I use it to mow about 8-10 acres of roughish terrain, which I try to cut every 4-6 weeks during growing season. Wasn’t pleased with the cut as it left two ridges even if I went quite slow plus fuel consumption seemed much higher than the bad boy mower I had been using. Since I don‘t bag or mulch I decided to try a set of low loft blades. The cut is much cleaner (even in thick growth) and fuel consumption seems down plus the mower doesn’t lug down like it used to. Is this common knowledge? Any other tips out there? I’m about to order a second set (always keep a spare sharp set).

dfbroxy

Threads
Purchased an EXmark radius with a 60” deck this last winter. I use it to mow about 8-10 acres of roughish terrain, which I try to cut every 4-6 weeks during growing season. Wasn’t pleased with the cut as it left two ridges even if I went quite slow plus fuel consumption seemed much higher than the bad boy mower I had been using. Since I don‘t bag or mulch I decided to try a set of low loft blades. The cut is much cleaner (even in thick growth) and fuel consumption seems down plus the mower doesn’t lug down like it used to. Is this common knowledge? Any other tips out there? I’m about to order a second set (always keep a spare sharp set).
The knowledge is out there but its not common. The only people who know this are 1. In the mower industry. 2. Read all the fine print in the manuals or 3. Have enough smarts like you to research a problem to the end instead of blaming the mower

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just noticed, very old post.. Oh well..

Low- lift blades have a small sail (fin behind cutting edge) , so the drag or lift is greatly reduced cutting.

Here's some reading for ya below: After clicking on the link, scroll down, it explains every blade type & purpose. .

Last edited: