Looking to buy a walk behind Lawn Mower -- Honda? Toro? Aerins?

NH79

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Looking to buy a walk behind Lawn Mower -- Honda? Toro? Aerins?
We have some good dealers in the area for each of those brands.

I was mostly all set to buy the Honda HRX217VLA or HRX217VKA until I saw that they are not going to produce anymore at the end of this summer. I plan to keep this mower for 10+ years with good care. Should I be concerned with parts such as cables, blades, etc?

I'm not going battery, to replace a battery would cost $300 on most brands, that is crazy.

The other options would be Toro 22 in. (56cm) Recycler® Electric Start w/Personal Pace® Gas Lawn Mower or Areins RAZOR 21 DUAL BLADE REFLEX™ SELF PROPELLED.

Thoughts on either of these brands and longevity?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Flip a coin. Personally, I wouldn’t buy any walk behind mower that did not have the option of side discharge.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Personally as a Toro guy I would choose a 21” Toro SuperRecycler over 22” Toro Recycler. Yes I know there is a price difference, but in my looked down upon opinion, the Recycler is a 7-10 year mower and the SuperRecycler is a 15-20 year mower. Read my signature.

TonyPrin

Threads
I'm not going battery, to replace a battery would cost $300 on most brands, that is crazy.
Not as crazy as you think. The mowers you listed require gas. Over the 8 or so years batteries are likely to last you'll possibly spend something close to that amount, maybe more depending on the price of gas and how often you mow. Then there's oil, spark plugs, air filters, and gas filters. Overall, the operating cost isn't much different, certainly not sufficient to exclude one on that basis.

NH79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not as crazy as you think. The mowers you listed require gas. Over the 7+ years batteries are likely to last you're likely to spend something close to that amount, maybe more. Then there's oil, spark plugs, air filters, and gas filters. Overall, the operating cost isn't much different.
That may be fine for people with a smaller plot but for us, 60 min run time is not enough. We like the walk behind for the movement. The oil is not a big deal as many of my other tools use the same viscosity and weight.

TonyPrin

Threads
That may be fine for people with a smaller plot but for us, 60 min run time is not enough.
I agree. Once you get beyond an hour, you'll need a higher performing battery or a second one. Either way, the cost goes up.

ermel

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a Cadet self propelled gas model and it runs like great and always starts with one pull of the rope.
Been like 2 years already, no problems. Cub Cadet SC 300 HW 21 in. 3-In-1 Self-Propelled Mower
PS. I've owned a Honda one before.