Looking for compatible starter Tecumseh 7 HP engine for Ariens rototiller

Mr. Matt

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Looking for compatible starter Tecumseh 7 HP engine for Ariens rototiller
Greetings, first time here...
Due to increasing back issues looking for a battery or electric starter for Tecumseh 7 HP engine, engine model HH70 -1400 38c

I have owners and parts manual, the starter set in parts manual has the starter as part of the set, but has with no part number for the starter itself. I
think what I need to know to find any after-market starters is the teeth count and rotation(?). i have no information on the starter

I need direction with how to proceed with this, or maybe someone already has done this which would be helpful. Am seeing some possible starters on ebay, but am not sure - and with "No Returns" I don't want to be throwing money away.

Thank you in advance!
Matt

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
There was 110-120V AC starter available for this model, there are quite a few aftermarket kits available on Amazon.

Tecumseh Part# 33328D

Starter Motor Kit (110-120 Volt) This 110-120 volt starter motor kit may have been added to this engine. It can be added only if cylinder has been drilled and tapped for starter mounting and a ring gear flywheel
Flywheel PN will be dependent on the ignition system, whether solid state or points.
1649859067993.png

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As Scrub posted only option available is a 110VAC starter. I doubt that this will work very well you you unless you have a very long extension cord. Second, unless your engine already has the ring gear the cost to install a electric starter could easily be more than $200.

Mr. Matt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wow! Thank you for the quick reply! I am not sure if my flywheel has a ring gear, not sure how to know.
Have no prob wheeling the beast to near my garage for extension cord.. but for the cost, the starter would be more than what I paid for the machine..

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Wow! Thank you for the quick reply! I am not sure if my flywheel has a ring gear, not sure how to know.
Have no prob wheeling the beast to near my garage for extension cord.. but for the cost, the starter would be more than what I paid for the machine..
you'll see the gear teeth on the outer edge of the flywheel.

Mr. Matt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Scrub, I believe I do see the gear teeth on the outer edge off the flywheel.. will double check. The shroud of the engine does accommodate a starter, as there is a bulge for one.