Looking at a Used Freedom Z

Greg27

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m buying my first zero turn to go with my first big yard (1 acre). I found a Scag Freedom Z with 265 hours for $3k for sale locally. The seller doesn’t know what age it is, he got it with the house. It has a 19HP Kawi engine so from what I could tell it may be around 2007 Or 2008. It appears to be in decent condition, but probably stored outside from the fadin on the paint and seat. Anyone have any advice on whether that might be a good option or what to look for? I like the Scag quality but there are a lot of residential models I could get into and I dont have that much grass so I’m not going to work it that hard. I’m not sure if there were any major platform changes over the years. It seems like similar models with that hours are around the 3000-3500 but the age and weathering makes me think around $2500 might be more realistic.

Like I said, first time over 1/4 acre or riding mowers so any advice is appreciated.

Mower King

Threads
I’m buying my first zero turn to go with my first big yard (1 acre). I found a Scag Freedom Z with 265 hours for $3k for sale locally. The seller doesn’t know what age it is, he got it with the house. It has a 19HP Kawi engine so from what I could tell it may be around 2007 Or 2008. It appears to be in decent condition, but probably stored outside from the fadin on the paint and seat. Anyone have any advice on whether that might be a good option or what to look for? I like the Scag quality but there are a lot of residential models I could get into and I dont have that much grass so I’m not going to work it that hard. I’m not sure if there were any major platform changes over the years. It seems like similar models with that hours are around the 3000-3500 but the age and weathering makes me think around $2500 might be more realistic.

Like I said, first time over 1/4 acre or riding mowers so any advice is appreciated.
Scags are good mowers for sure but, no matter how good they are, they all wear out. Being set outside is not that great on them either. Those 19 hp Kaw engines on those had the oil drain petcock leak oil out, fairly easy & cheap fix...hey also had the Charge Pumps leak on the wheel motors, not so cheap of a fix...especially if they run the wheel mtrs low on oil! Just check these things out along with everything else out.
Just remember, if you buy a new mower....you get a several year warranty and with used you get.....well!
Don't buy a new mower from a box store as they don't work on them, they send you somewhere else....good luck, on somewhere else!