Long-time self-propelled mower user looking for first riding mower

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Long-time self-propelled mower user looking for first riding mower
Only 1/3 acre. No need for a 0-turn.

To help decide the brand, go on here and look at the Snapper section. It's dead for the most part. Tells you these are great machines and tend not to break.

Go on here at look at all the posts on Cub Cadet, Honda and Husky to name three. Honda makes mowers you can't pull backwards or side sling in 2023. Bad Boy is another to watch out for.

You should look at a Toro 30" Timemaster or an older 33" Snapper rear engined rider.

GrumpyCat

Threads
Only 1/3 acre. No need for a 0-turn.
1/3rd acre is all the more reason for a zero-turn. You don't have room to turn around and you are constantly turning around for lack of long runs to cut before turning.

My back yard. Ring video link will only work for a month or two:
https://ring.com/share/7f8c0829-6851-454e-bbc1-43189ae746bb
To help decide the brand, go on here and look at the Snapper section. It's dead for the most part. Tells you these are great machines and tend not to break.
Or, the Snapper brand is dead since B&S purchased? Or that everyone expects the Snapper to break so they don't say anything about it?
Go on here at look at all the posts on Cub Cadet, Honda and Husky to name three. Honda makes mowers you can't pull backwards or side sling in 2023. Bad Boy is another to watch out for.

You should look at a Toro 30" Timemaster or an older 33" Snapper rear engined rider.
The old Snapper tube-frame Rear Engine Rider is a classic. But it is not appropriate for one who isn't an enthusiast willing to spend time maintaining and observing things before they break.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Or, the Snapper brand is dead since B&S purchased? Or that everyone expects the Snapper to break so they don't say anything about it?
Or that it's time for me to eat breakfast. And yes today, the Snapper brand is dead. The older machines are still something to look at.
But it is not appropriate for one who isn't an enthusiast willing to spend time maintaining and observing things before they break.
If you can't fix a push mower then you sure as heck don't need a 0-turn.

Diwali

Threads
Yes! A ride on mower is a good solution as you get older! you won’t regret it.
For 1/3 acre you won’t need an expensive, high powered machine. And, as it will be your first machine the simpler it is the better. My first was a Craftsman LT2000 with a 17.5hp Briggs & Stratton engine, manual gearbox, manual deck engagement, one pedal for clutch/brake and a side discharge (allowing me to use the rear hitch for trailers etc.). That was 15 years ago and I’m still using it. I would happily buy another Craftsman but they are no longer available in the UK where I am located. The point I’m making is simple controls means less complications and a longer life!
I’ve done all my own maintenance to keep costs down (as someone mentioned the ride on will require more attention than a walk behind) but some mechanical skills will be required.
If you want to collect grass clippings automatically you’ll probably need the rear discharge type with an integral bag/box. This limits the tractor’s hauling capability but if pulling trailers is less important than collecting grass then the rear discharge is for you.
Do your homework; try machines (dealers are usually happy to demonstrate); check U Tube videos (there are plenty!); talk to neighbours who have them and ask what issues they may have.
Once you know what you want, look for the best price. A cheap and cheerful machine doesn’t necessarily require a nearby dealer - the machine will run trouble free for maybe 5+ years anyway. My Craftsman arrived on a pallet and I basically set it up myself. The delivery driver was just that and left me to it. I’m now 77 and never once regretted getting a ride on!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Enjoy..

Born2Mow

Threads
I personally would stay away from anything built by MTD or Husqvarna.
MTD sells under their own brand name, but they also make low-end mowers for Ariens, John Deere, Craftsman and others. And Rivets is correct, they are very low on the 'desirability' scale. One of their largest faults is deck height adjustment. Typically an MTD will come with a 6-position deck height adjuster, but if you'll actually measure the blade, you're lucky to get 4.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Many names I would never recommend.

Found this list on Wikipedia and thought it would be relevant since so many here ask the question "is this made by MTD."
Brands Owned by MTD:

* Bolens
* Columbia
* Cub Cadet
* Cub Cadet Commercial
* Farm King
* GardenWay
* Gutbrod
* Lawnflite
* Mastercut
* Mow Master
* MTD
* MTD Gold
* MTD Pro
* Troy-Bilt
* White Outdoor
* Yard-Man
* Yard-Man Select
* Yard Machines
* YardWorks

Private Label Brands Produced:

MTD has built various other brands and store-brand Lawn & Garden tractors over the years, including: Ace, Agway, Blue Grass, Coast to Coast, Dayton, EagleStar, EDT, E-Flor, EDT, EuroTrac, Fleurelle, FloraPro, FloraSelf, Florica, Forest City, Golf, Hechinger, Huskee, JCPenney, Kgro, Landmark, Lawn Chief, Lowe's, Massey Ferguson, Mastercraft, Mastercut, Motec, Novotrac, PowerPro, PowrKraft, Quality, Quality Farm & Fleet, Ranch King, Rasentrac, Rasentraktor, Sentar, ServiStar, Statesman, Task Force, Texas, Topflite, Turf-Power, Turf-Trac, Univert, Val Garden, Ventzki-MTD, Verts Loisirs, Victa, Wards, Wizard and Yard Works.

Lawn Addict
Threads
My mrs is still pushing our 17 year old MTD 22" w/Briggs Flathead.. Bought it new.. Not a single complaint about it..Well, 1, the plastic wheels, I bored them & made bushings to fit them.

Wish I could buy the exact same today. (for the price we paid 17 yrs ago.)