Liberty Z 52" SR Engine

johnnymite

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I'm new to the forum and hoping to buy my first Scag!

Locally, I found the Liberty Z 52" with the SR (Loncin?) engine. I've called several dealers within an hour radius and only the SR engine model is available (either in stock or for order). Everyone is at around $5800.

I guess I'm hesitating to purchase because of the engine. I've read through forum posts and other reviews and I feel like most people are saying try to buy the Briggs or Kohler. Of course the dealers who only have the SR available, are telling me the engines are great, haha! Does anyone have additional insight? Any user feedback about the SR engines? Should the lack of engine choice stop me from buying?

Thanks for any insight, thoughts, and help!!

Lawn Geek

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought a 52' liberty this week... Kohler engine, delivered yesterday. Yikes, $5800? Paid $5371 plus tax.
From the engine standpoint, how much do you mow (acres or sq ft)? I have about 18k sq ft... I'm not sure I'd nit pick engines bc hopefully all last me 10-15 years minimum taking care of it. But I also think it depends on how much you use it weekly... I might put 40 hrs on this a year, took me 45 minutes to cut and I did a double cut on half the yard. Good luck!

johnnymite

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought a 52' liberty this week... Kohler engine, delivered yesterday. Yikes, $5800? Paid $5371 plus tax.
Sounds like I need to go to your dealer! I called 3 dealers, all SR engines only and all at $5800 plus tax and delivery. None seemed open to negotiating 😒

I’ll be mowing 2.5 to 3 acres. So it sounds like my mowing hours will be significantly more than you.

johnnymite

Forum Newbie
Threads
Since the pricing seems high on the Liberty Z in my area, I'm just trying to come up with another option.

This morning, I found a used 2013 Freedom Z, 48" deck, 26hp Briggs, 340hrs. Owner says it runs great and he just had it in the shop for maintenance service. Asking $3k. Worth looking into?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most engines outlast the mower. Wouldn't worry about it unless you need some special brand name to show the neighbors???

For my money at $5800.00, sucker better have a hand built Rolls Royce engine in it. Full service wet bar and beer keg on it. Fully nude women pop out when I hit the choke LOL.

Honestly, if the brand bothers you, don't buy it. Life is too short guy.

johnnymite

Forum Newbie
Threads
Definitely not worried about having a brand name to show the neighbors. Just want to make sure I get something that lasts, especially at that price tag.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Definitely not worried about having a brand name to show the neighbors. Just want to make sure I get something that lasts, especially at that price tag.
For that money I would insist on a premium engine.

mrbill11

Forum Newbie
Threads
they do have a 5 year warranty. I am very happy with mine but have just got it recently

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
For that money, I would visit the nearest Ariens/Gravely dealer and get a Ariens Apex 52 with a Kawasaki FR691V and Hydro-Gear ZT3100 transaxles.

Last edited: