Learning on a 1980s Craftsman Edger - I have it running! Want to get it running better. Turns off with new air filter

FredBacher

Threads
  • / Learning on a 1980s Craftsman Edger - I have it running! Want to get it running better. Turns off with new air filter
So as a report back in..

I ended up replacing the entire thing based on my research. The original was too far gone, everything was falling apart and a replacement diaphragm piece cost more than the $15 I spent on an entire carb replacement. Was this one if anyone ever views this thread: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IK2MNZK/

We are all pretty sure it's this engine now, a Tecumseh H30: https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...1022-craftsman-35327n-h30/engine-parts-list-3

Cleaned up the engine, swapped the pieces, fuel line, and it works. There is a screw at the bottom which is the mixture screw from what I read. I screwed it all the way in then basked it out until it started to run. So that's really great. So far so good. Used it this weekend and it tore through the grass like it was a knife on hot butter.

While we're at it with this model, does anyone know if the pull cord can be replaced with something better? Right now the first six inches on the one attached are completely slack, once you get past that the rest of it is very tight and you need to throw all of your weight behind getting it going and brace the unit so it doesn't fly away with the cord. I asked the neighbor about that and he said he did try to replace it some time ago but doesn't think he did a very good job, hence it not working smoothly now. Since the original was replaced there is no part number on the new pull cord assembly.

bogdaN

Threads
  • / Learning on a 1980s Craftsman Edger - I have it running! Want to get it running better. Turns off with new air filter
Pull cord can be fixed very easy.Just unscrew 4 nuts and you have it.First i would clean & lube spring.Now to eliminate that slack on your rope just rape about 2 times and see if that work for you.
But if you want to spend $20 i did see some on E-bay.

Last edited: