leaky two stroke carburetor

viperv10

Threads
Hi guys. I have an old MTD 21 inch snowblower with a 2 stroke Tecumseh engine model HSK 600. I was putting some fresh gas in it and gas started dripping from the carburetor.
I thought maybe the float was stuck down and was running out of the air intake at first. But when I tipped it up to get a good look at it the gas was dripping from tiny little tube just about
an inch away from the gas inlet tube from the gas tank, toward the front of the snow blower. It is a smaller diameter tube than the primer tube. It looks to me that there should be rubber tube going somewhere but I can't see where it would go. It could maybe be a vent tube but I'm not too familiar with Tecumseh 2 stroke carbs. Does anyone know what that tiny little inlet or vent tube is for and what would cause gas to leak from it. I took the bowl off and blew out all the holes inside the carb that I could get. The float works freely. I put it back together and put a little gas in the tan and let it set a little bit and it didn't leak.
But when I pushed the primer bulb a couple times it started to leak again and it won't start. It has good spark a little over 90 lbs. of compression.
Any suggestions anyone?
Thanks.
Jerry

OldDiyer

Threads
By what your discribing sounds like fuel line to me. You will have to replace them not a big deal once you can get at them. There is usually a main in line and maybe a return.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take the float off and shake it, see if it there is gas in it. Look at it, see if it is crushed.

rkorsen

Forum Newbie
Threads
The tiny tube is the bowl vent. It can leak fuel if the main jet bowl nut or the main nozzle is clogged wrhen primer is pushed. First verify that fuel is spraying from nozzle upon pumping primer. Also fuel will leak from this tube if the machine is tipped upright, especially if the orientation of tube is at the bottom.

viperv10

Threads
Thank you.
I think the problem was the metal float. It had some gas in it so it was too heavy to shut the gas off. I replaced it with a plastic float
and it stopped leaking, but now it wont start. I got frustrated with it and put it away for awhile. I will get it back out again one of these days though.

rkorsen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Verify fuel in the bowl by priming and sighting the fuel coming from fuel nozzle. Ensure fuel line, bowl nut jet holes and main nozzle are clear. Also sufficient gas in tank to flow to carb. Some units have hose with internal filter. Any inline shutoff valve is open.