Lawnboy Duraforce 10424

intruder1500

Threads
Just picked up a new to me 10424. Engine surges at mid to full power and will not idle. Is a carb rebuild in order? On a side note incorrect spark plug used and electrode was very black with engine smoking more than I am used to. Not sure what oil was used but going to drain the tank and use the same oil as my 10525's which is Shell Nautilus.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing I would do is pull the muffler cover, not the muffler, and check to see if the exhaust ports are open. Personally I would pull the carb and give it a good cleaning, plus replace the float rod and seat.

viperv10

Threads
Hello,
I have good luck stopping them from surging by replacing the jet on the side of the carb with a briggs and stratton pilot jet, part # 801308. Sometimes it's under a sticker or piece of black tape.
That lets it get a little more gas. The smoking could be an accumulation of oil from the exhaust u shaped tube under the deck. You would have to take the blade off and take the 4 bolts out
that hold the cover on. Then you could look at the exhaust port like Rivets mentioned.
Regards.
Jerry

intruder1500

Threads
Hello,
I have good luck stopping them from surging by replacing the jet on the side of the carb with a briggs and stratton pilot jet, part # 801308. Sometimes it's under a sticker or piece of black tape.
That lets it get a little more gas. The smoking could be an accumulation of oil from the exhaust u shaped tube under the deck. You would have to take the blade off and take the 4 bolts out
that hold the cover on. Then you could look at the exhaust port like Rivets mentioned.
Regards.
Jerry
Thanks for all the feedback. Am currently working on my back up 10525 ...needs coil and carb work. Next on the list my new to me 10424 after spark plug / new fuel shutoff / drain tank / clean and sharpen blade and under deck / replace primer bulb....thank goodness for lots of spare parts! I need to stop buying duraforce mowers....oh and except for the gentlemen that was getting rid of 30 years accumulation of lawnboy mowers and parts. No more mower bags required!