Lawnboy coil replacement ?

z3marlin

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 7229 before compliant stop F engne mower. With no spark I added a new low price coil from compliant stop ( ground to stop ) and remarked the off switch terminal to ON. It starts and is slow to rev up on the 1st or 2nd pull. As it runs and it pops or fires out the exhaust . The ports are clear the muffler can be blown thru with air hose. The carb is clean. Is the new coil timed late? upside down? Or some other problem like the low gas level in tank 1/4" Or what?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The coil you should be using is part num 100-2949. Post a picture of the coil you have on now and I’ll see if I can tell whether it is the right one.

z3marlin

Forum Newbie
Threads
The coil you should be using is part num 100-2949. Post a picture of the coil you have on now and I’ll see if I can tell whether it is the right one.
I used the -2949 and wired the switch to kill make a ground. the mounts and core location looked identical.

Attachments

• 100-2948.jpg
    100-2948.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 3

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Been a while since i worked on an F but i don't think the ground to run and ground to kill coils are interchangeable. Some will physically interchange but the timing is wrong. Never had any luck with aftermarket F engine coils. They died fairly quickly.

z3marlin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Been a while since i worked on an F but i don't think the ground to run and ground to kill coils are interchangeable. Some will physically interchange but the timing is wrong. Never had any luck with aftermarket F engine coils. They died fairly quickly.
The reason why I tried this is the 7229 model changed from pre compliant with switch to compliant coil without switch having grounding handle cable.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If my memory is any good the leg curve on those two coils is not the same, which will cause timing problems.

Mower King

Threads
This is all correct....coils are not all the same, they do fire at different times causing an engine to miss or be sluggish!