Lawn Mower runs for 10 minutes and stops

Mrjohn46

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello

I a have 2 year old Toro 22in recycler mower

Running fine until recently.

It runs strong for about 10 minutes and shut off like it out of gas.

It about 10 minutes it restarts strong and then shut off

This what I did:

1) replaced dirty filter

2) drain gas and refilled with new gas

3) checked that the spark plug connection was good

I would welcome any help to figure out what is going on

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What engine is on it? there have been several engines used on those mowers over the years...
But in the mean time, i would do this, if you have any Starting Fluid, Brake/Carburetor cleaner, or even pour some gas into a spray bottle, have it ready.
when the mower dies, remove the air filter cover and air filter. you'll see the Carburetor Venturi (can't miss it), give it a quick spray of whatever you have that's combustible. try to restart it, if it Runs then dies again, you have a fuel delivery problem. if it doesn't start at all... I suspect that your ignition coil is failing when it heats up.

Mrjohn46

Forum Newbie
Threads
thank you

Toro model 20378

Kohler engine 149cc

Richard320

Threads
Could be the gas cap isn't venting. No air gets in, so no gas gets out. Next time it dies, open the gas cap, wait a minute, then put it all back and try starting it.

golfergordy

Threads
I had a similar problem with a 25 year old Toro I was fixing for a friend. It turned out that gasoline was leaking thru the carburetor into the engine oil when the mower was at rest in between mowings which thinned out the oil which caused overheating when the engine was running, thus it started ok but wouldn't run more than a few minutes before the excess friction in the engine caused it to shut down. It was probably the carb's float valve not working, but as a fix I installed a fuel shutoff valve in the fuel line leading to the carb which had to be closed when the engine was at rest. My friend used the mower like I fixed it for a few more years before he got a new one.