Export thread

Lawn mower battery charger question

B

bt-99

I am planning on buying a battery charger for my lawn mower battery just in case mower does not start up in the spring. I have no interest in getting a battery maintainer to put on it in the winter. I just want a charger to charge battery in the spring if it is dead. Need to know what size charger and what amp to put it on when charging

M

mechanic mark

Suggestion: pick up a tube of "Dielectric Grease" & apply liberally to clean battery posts & cable ends, protects against moisture.

S

slomo

This is plenty. Also don't buy any other brand other than Battery Tender. I did and threw a few away from not working. Tried to save a couple bucks. Ended up costing more in the long run. Battery Tenders have never failed me.

1713392867591.jpeg

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

I am planning on buying a battery charger for my lawn mower battery just in case mower does not start up in the spring. I have no interest in getting a battery maintainer to put on it in the winter. I just want a charger to charge battery in the spring if it is dead. Need to know what size charger and what amp to put it on when charging
Charge on 2 amps. Set it and walk away and come back the next day. Do this about once a month and you not only have no battery issues for starting, but also about double the life of battery.

B

bt-99

Suggestion: pick up a tube of "Dielectric Grease" & apply liberally to clean battery posts & cable ends, protects against moisture.
Ok thanks I wasn't sure if I was supposed to charge on 2 amp or 10. So you charge on 10 amp the whole time? And how long does it take to charge?

S

SeniorCitizen

My 50 year old Schumacer charger regulates the amps as the battery charges . If you were to leave the battery out in the elements over the winter to discharge until it wouldn't crank the engine there is a good chance a frozen battery will have 0.0 cranking amps for spring mowing .

S

saltair

I agree with slomo...get a battery tender.

S

slomo

2 amps or less for these small mower batteries.

My former "battery tender" sleeps with the fishes. it boiled out my Harley battery.

Last 10 + years I only use Battery MINDers*..............With temp compensators..