Lawn encchroach by grass weed

jforth

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi

My lawn is has become invaded by a coarse grass as shown in the pictures attached. I would
be most appreciated if a person could advise what this is and how best to rectify the problem.
Will I need to dig out the grass and reseed or is there an easier method to prevent this from reoccuring?

Thanks

Attachments

• Lawn1.jpg
    Lawn1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Lawn2.jpg
    Lawn2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 30

Craftsman Garage

Threads
yes, reseed or replace and apply weed killer/fertilizer

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would try a product called Triplet SF first. Looks like what we call crabgrass in this area. Takes about a year to get rid of, but cheaper than going through the hassle for killing and reseeding. Worked for me, but I had to be patient.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is that Bermuda grass? If so good luck. See the Stolon runners on top of the foliage?

slomo

jforth

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi From what I have read it doesn't seem to be bermuda grass. The purple stems are quite coarse. The closet I can find would be crab grass. I am based in the UK. Would be good to identify exact type so I know how its need treating. Thanks for your advice

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Seeing that you are in the UK, my assumptions are wrong. My best advice in your case is to contact your local farm agent, or what ever you call them in your country, or a good landscaping company. They will be able to help more than most members on this forum.