Walk behind Lawn-boy will not start

Threads
Hello all,

I checked the governor assembly and looks like the spring was out of the black part of the vane assembly. I placed the spring back in and rewould it , but still does not work. Is the spring a close knit unit or comes together with the vane assembly.

any help would be appreciated.

Dennis

buzzcut

Forum Newbie
Threads
some times when you hit a object while mowing, or a to long sparkplug you may patially shear keyway on fly wheel you have spark but it is out of time because keyway and fly wheel are out of proper postion this is something you should try to look at it may be your problem. hope this helps been there !

Threads
To pull the flywheel will I need a mechanical puller to remove the flywheel and replace the keyway? Thanks for your input.

Dennis

SouthTech

Threads
I would check compression before doing all that.... Easy test and tells you if all that other stuff is worth trying

SouthTech

Threads
What is best way check compression

It痴 a tool that replaces the spark plug. Install it crank on it a few times then read the psi. If you don稚 want to invest in one some part houses will loan are rent one, just call around. For a lawn bow 110 -120psi is the lowest you want anything below 100 will be really hard to start if at all.

Here is an example/link of the tool I was referring to

COMPRESSION TESTER /

Threads
It痴 a tool that replaces the spark plug. Install it crank on it a few times then read the psi. If you don稚 want to invest in one some part houses will loan are rent one, just call around. For a lawn bow 110 -120psi is the lowest you want anything below 100 will be really hard to start if at all.

Here is an example/link of the tool I was referring to

COMPRESSION TESTER /

I borrowed a compression tester tool from an auto mechanic, however, there is no compression registered, will the auto compressor tester work with a lawn mower, due to shank size that goes into bore of head. the cylinder head of mower requires short shank adapter and if I place the whole adapter it will hit the piston, so I had to loosen it just enough so the piston would not hit. Is this an adequate to test compression. unable to locate a shorter adapter. thanks

SouthTech

Threads
I borrowed a compression tester tool from an auto mechanic, however, there is no compression registered, will the auto compressor tester work with a lawn mower, due to shank size that goes into bore of head. the cylinder head of mower requires short shank adapter and if I place the whole adapter it will hit the piston, so I had to loosen it just enough so the piston would not hit. Is this an adequate to test compression. unable to locate a shorter adapter. thanks

If you got 0 compressions I would say that the test was no good. The tool I was referring to usually just screws into the same whole the spark plug goes in. It should not come in contact with the piston. If this is what youæ±*e doing spray some soapy water around the threaded part of the adapter. If you have leak it will create bubbles and the test is no good. If you don稚 get bubbles and you fill the test is good then you have internal engine problems.

a.palmer jr.

Threads
I'll probably start a fight here, but the carbon build-up is a good reason to use a good brand of synthetic 2 cycle oil. I run Klotz Techniplate at 32:1 in my Lawn Boys and have had no carbon. Yes, it's expensive but I hate tearing them down and finding a ruined piston because of carbon getting between the piston and cylinder wall. I've run Klotz in 2 cycle engines for several years and haven't had a oil related failure.

earthworm

Threads
I'll probably start a fight here, but the carbon build-up is a good reason to use a good brand of synthetic 2 cycle oil. I run Klotz Techniplate at 32:1 in my Lawn Boys and have had no carbon. Yes, it's expensive but I hate tearing them down and finding a ruined piston because of carbon getting between the piston and cylinder wall. I've run Klotz in 2 cycle engines for several years and haven't had a oil related failure.

Good advice.
IMO, you can run a 50 to 1 when using a quality synthetic.
Are there any acceptable substitutes for the Klotz ?
I use the old "thumb in the hole " trick to check engine compression...this works OK, to an extent.