Lawn Boy 8601 Self Propelled

Roofgunner

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Lawn Boy self propelled 8601 mower.(1980's vintage) It has good compression, was stored, owned by a fellow who took care of it and it hasn't been used a whole lot. I've got two other mowers, one being a commercial LB and another 4 cycle. I don't need this mower. It has spark and did kick over a couple of times but it has been stored and the carb, which is plastic, is in bad shape. I'd rather give it away to someone who could either fix it, has a carb for it, etc rather than junk it. I live in MO and I make runs to PA, Kansas City, and to Iowa. If there is anyone who could use this mower let me know. All I really care about is that I don't want to sell it, but if I have to go out of my way to get it to a new home, a few buck for some gas would help. I can submit a photo if you like. Thanks. Tom in N. Central MO>

fk60

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Lawn Boy self propelled 8601 mower.(1980's vintage) It has good compression, was stored, owned by a fellow who took care of it and it hasn't been used a whole lot. I've got two other mowers, one being a commercial LB and another 4 cycle. I don't need this mower. It has spark and did kick over a couple of times but it has been stored and the carb, which is plastic, is in bad shape. I'd rather give it away to someone who could either fix it, has a carb for it, etc rather than junk it. I live in MO and I make runs to PA, Kansas City, and to Iowa. If there is anyone who could use this mower let me know. All I really care about is that I don't want to sell it, but if I have to go out of my way to get it to a new home, a few buck for some gas would help. I can submit a photo if you like. Thanks. Tom in N. Central MO>

if you still have it I may be interested....what part of pa do you travel to?..

Roofgunner

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took the mower to a recycle place because no one replied and when you replied it was gone. I tried to get the carb to work and then after several pulls on the starter cord, the return mechanism took a dump. As far as Pa is concerned, I'm from Indiana, PA. Thanks anyway!!! Tom

fk60

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took the mower to a recycle place because no one replied and when you replied it was gone. I tried to get the carb to work and then after several pulls on the starter cord, the return mechanism took a dump. As far as Pa is concerned, I'm from Indiana, PA. Thanks anyway!!! Tom

just my luck, I'm not far from you...I'm close to uniontown pa I would have drove there to get it...oh well it is what it is...

Roofgunner

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll tell you what I will do, just in case. I took the mower to a place called High Hope here in Milan, MO. They do recycling, mainly paper. I will call down there tomorrow and if they have it, I will get it back. I am trying to put together a trip in the next week to come back to Indiana to visit for a week. IFFFFFFFFFFFF I get it I will let you know. If you don't here from me, then it got crushed. I have enough stuff here to work on and I have a commercial 22 LB that I got from a friend who sold it to me after I had a fire. The thing I guess cost a whole lot of $$$. Well, I couldn't believe it. Everything was loose on it. Even the caged roller bearing on the crank. The exhaust leaked, etc. So I went through it and it works great. My buddy never used it much so it seems like the factory did a bad job with it. But it runs great now. So I didn't need the one that got taken to High Hope.

Oh, one thing. The one I lost in the fire we got in 1989 and worked great until the day of the fire, Mar of 2012. I ran it all those years on 100 to 1 Amsoil two stroke Sabre mix, and never missed a beat!!!
I used to come by Uniontown on the way to Bethany, W.VA.

fk60

Forum Newbie
Threads
ok sounds good ...let me know what happens,,, I usually check this site daily , at times if I'm working long hours that doesn't happen