Export thread

Kohler KT745 Running Rough

B

benjaminfisher68

Ok so I screwed up. My PTO clutch wasn't getting 12v to close and get the deck on so I said screw it, found 12v and a ground, ran it through a switch and it turns out the ground I used was the wire going to both coil packs. Long story short, I fried both coil packs, so I replaced them (and plugs), gapped both properly and now when I'm running the engine, it's running rough. Both cylinders are firing but it almost sounds like an issue with timing? I'm convinced I fried something else when I shorted out the Coils, but I can't for the life of me figure out what. I also tried putting in a new voltage regulator and that didn't make a difference. Please help!

R

Rivets

Maybe this manual will help you out. I would start with double checking everything you have done so far. Don’t go looking at any other system until you are sure everything is correct with the ignition system. https://resources.kohler.com/power/...666.780924525.1719246406-162557946.1719246406

B

benjaminfisher68

Everything is correct and verified. I got the new Coil's off of Amazon and I'm starting to think they may be the cause. It makes sense
Maybe this manual will help you out. I would start with double checking everything you have done so far. Don’t go looking at any other system until you are sure everything is correct with the ignition system. https://resources.kohler.com/power/...666.780924525.1719246406-162557946.1719246406
to me that timing could be slightly off if the OEM coils were even a hair of a different size than the new ones I purchased.

R

Rivets

Amazon coils are a crapshoot, that’s why 90% of the techs on this site never recommend using them unless they are the very, very last resort.

I

ILENGINE

Something else to keep in mind. So the the KT series us fixed CDI timing modules and some use the MDI spark advance system. And the two systems are not interchangeable and if the wrong ones are installed will manifest as a bad timing issue.

B

benjaminfisher68

Amazon coils are a crapshoot, that’s why 90% of the techs on this site never recommend using them unless they are the very, very last resort.
SOLVED! Thank you!! I didnt want to beleive it but those Amazon coils were the culprit. Picked up some OEM's from a local shop and what do you know.. runs just as good as it ever did. Now on to diagnosing why my deck wont engage, ugh