Kohler CV15s idles choked, backfires and dies off choke

winmod21

Threads
  • / Kohler CV15s idles choked, backfires and dies off choke
. . .These threads that just end like this drive me nuts ! :rolleyes:

Nonetheless I really appreciate being able to read all the replies & suggestions & advice given - as it can help us all.

Yep, that engine uses hydraulic lifters so there is no adjustment for valve lash
View attachment 56189
Scrubcadet10 — If you see this, how do you tell if the lifters are hydraulic and therefore not in need of "adjustment for valve lash"?
All I've been able to find so far, is the procedure for performing the 'valve lash adjustment' on page 11.15 of our Kohler service manual, (same as the one linked abv ^ in post # 2 by mechanic mark).
I've never adjusted valve lash, and so it'd be very helpful to know if likewise, for our engine spec, "there is no adjustment for valve lash", or not. And not sure how to find out. Thanks for any replies.
Our Kohler CV15S is spec # 41571

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
1629152696470.png
Generally if you can't find out if you have adjustable valves (I.e,. Hydraulic lifters or not) by looking at the parts list, if you remove the valve cover, usually you'll see an adjustment mechanism on the rockers, usually consists of a stud and lock nut, or two nuts, one that adjusts the clearance and the other locks the nut into place to hold the clearance proper.

winmod21

Threads
View attachment 57961
Generally if you can't find out if you have adjustable valves (I.e,. Hydraulic lifters or not) by looking at the parts list, if you remove the valve cover, usually you'll see an adjustment mechanism on the rockers, usually consists of a stud and lock nut, or two nuts, one that adjusts the clearance and the other locks the nut into place to hold the clearance proper.
Thanks very much for reply, Scrubcadet10 ;-)
I'm seeing a different diagram and parts list at: partscatalog.deere.com , but I can see where the valve lifters are specified as: 'LIFTER, VALVE HYDRAULIC' - for our CV15S. So at this point I won't be pulling the valve cover off, thankfully.
Where is your 'Head/Valve/Breather 4-27-63' diagram & parts list page coming from? It's be nice to have the cross-reference for future parts.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Here
i use this as it tends to have the most up to date part numbers and info.
scroll down and log in as guest, however it is going to be deactivated in December of this year.

winmod21

Threads
Here
i use this as it tends to have the most up to date part numbers and info.
scroll down and log in as guest, however it is going to be deactivated in December of this year.
Thank you very much, Scrubcadet10 !;-)
Oh too bad it's deactivating later this year.
I logged-in as guest; CV15S-41571 doesn't match anything, but I'll explore until I find it.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Thank you very much, Scrubcadet10 !;-)
Oh too bad it's deactivating later this year.
I logged-in as guest; CV15S-41571 doesn't match anything, but I'll explore until I find it.
I took the S off of the model, it showed it as CV15-41571 for John Deere.
1629163787771.png

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Command single is the best single cylinder engine ever built.