Kohler CV15S Dieing problem

jdwdwd

Forum Newbie
Threads
My John Deere LT 155, powered by a Kohler CV15 S, spec no. 41594, starts easily and runs normaly but only for about five minutes. It then abrubtly dies and will not start for approximately 24 hours. When this sympton first appeared it would run for an hour or so and then die. Now, say 6 weeks after the problem arose it will only run for a few minutes. When the engine stalls it is very quick, much like it had been keyed off. On the last two occassions, at the point of dieing, I choked the engine. Allthough the effect was very minimal, it did delay the stall, so I rebuilt the Walbro carberator and replaced the fuel filter. The carb had some gunk in the bottom of the bowl, but otherwise appeared to be pretty clean. The needle that I replaced revealed no signs of wear. I also replaced the spark plug and air filter. I did notice on two or three occasions of this routine dieing, that the wing nut securing the air filter was very loose. I added a lock washer this last time. These efforts did not solve my problem. I have read a number of threads on other forums concerning this issue with the CV15 S. There seems to be no resolution. The guy I bought my parts from suspected that my problem is the ignition module. I'm hopeful the pro's hear can help me solve this problem. I thank you in advance.

jd

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is either going to be a spark or fuel issue. Next time it dies immediately check to see it you have spark. If no spark, you will probably have to replace the coil. If you have spark, spray some carb cleaner into the air horn and see if it will fire. If it fires, you need to check the float needle valve and/or the fuel pump.

jdwdwd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Rivets! I'll check for spark tomorrow and follow up then.

jdwdwd

Forum Newbie
Threads
First thing this morn (mower at rest for almost 24 hrs) I tested for spark and it was good. I then fired it up and mowed for about 10 minuets and it died. Immediately checked for spark and there was none. I have therefore concluded, based upon the fine academic, Mr Rivets, that I need to replace the ignition module. I'll get one ordered, install it and hope all is well. I'll follow up with a report in early July. I will be leaving my cabin and mower on the Eleven Point River in Oregon Co Missouri tomorrow. Will return in advance of the 4th of July Weekend with part in hand and a good measure of confidence thanks to Rivets and this forum. Rivets, wish like hell I would have taken a small engine course in HS way back when. Would have benefitted me a darn sight more than that art class I took. Thanks to all that have a hand in running and contribute to this excellent resource!

jd

jdwdwd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Problem solved! Ye Hah! I replaced the ignition module this morning and have been mowing with no problems since. I'm such a nickle splitter and therefore a do it yourselfer. Couldn't do it without expert input from fine people like Rivets. Thank You Very much.
jd

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad to hear I good lucky this time, now will you come over and cut my hay field?