Kohler CV 22s. Seems like it is running at half power

jt550

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler CV 22s. Seems like it is running at half power
Last year when mowing engine dropped 2 half power the advance timing module on the side of the motor was smoking engine stop running they do not make this part anymore but I did find a used one at a junkyard that tested fine I installed it and the engines started up but still running at half power I checked Spark it is good I checked compression that was normal and I also checked the valves they were working properly does anybody have any idea what could be wrong with it

Paul54

Threads
Hi there , please post back model and type codes from label on flywheel cover ie something in this format
Ech740-3132 then sn ###########
It helps when diagnosing problem

But in the mean time,as you state, both cylinders have spark , but is it at the correct time ? do both cyls have fuel gettin to them ? Do you know how much compression each cylinder has?, ( by the way a leak down test can locate and confirm a blown head gasket or leaking inlet manifold gasket ) a leak at only one end of intake manifold will only affect the cylinder closest to it , a blown head gasket lowers compression and draws in air on intake stroke so cylinder with blown head gasket may have some compression and good spark , will not when cutting load placed on it , power on that cylinder drops and engine runs 1 cylinder , in case you were wondering a engine will run ok on 1 cyl as long as load does exceed power output from remaining cyl ,if it does engine stops , pls post model and trim code numbers and will help further
Cheers

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Is your choke open 100%?

semimechanicman

Threads
Last year when mowing engine dropped 2 half power the advance timing module on the side of the motor was smoking engine stop running they do not make this part anymore but I did find a used one at a junkyard that tested fine I installed it and the engines started up but still running at half power I checked Spark it is good I checked compression that was normal and I also checked the valves they were working properly does anybody have any idea what could be wrong with it
Make the engine run for a little bit and then let it cool for a minute or so and then touch both cylinder head and/or valve covers to see if they are both hot. If one of them isnt hot, then it is not working

SHB

Threads
Had a Koehler courage that seemed to run fine, but power was low. Checked plugs, one was wet. Pulled the valve cover (hard to do, bolts frozen), found one of the studs that supports the exhaust rocker arm had backed out, rocker arm had moved off to one side, pushrod was bent. Loctited and tightened the stud, straightened the bent pushrod, drilled out and replaced the broken valve cover bolts, runs fine now.

cbs123

Threads
unplug one spark plug wire at a time while it's running (use insulated pliers or a screwdriver so you don't shock yourself) If one causes motor to shut off, then the other cylinder isn't running.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Or just use a laser thermometer and check the exhaust tube temps.

slyone

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an exmark truf tracer 52inch 18cvs is deadblock busted what engine can replace