Export thread

Kohler Courage 20

S

Snido

I have a Cub Cadet 1045 with a Kohler Courage 20 on it that I cannot seem to get working. I was mowing grass a while ago and noticed I was burning oil, so I took a look and I had cracked block and a sheared off bolt on the head. I replaced the bolt and repaired the cracked block and put it all back together and could not get it to start. So far I have replaced the battery, the fuel filter, the spark plug, cleaned the carb, and I adjusted the head valves back into spec; and it still wont start...

One thing I have noticed is that the exhaust valve is popping. When I spin the flywheel and the exhaust valve depresses it gets to a point and then it pops back to its original location, not like a smooth motion at all. Im thinking that could be my problem. What would cause that?

Thanks in advance!

S

shiftsuper175607

I have a Cub Cadet 1045 with a Kohler Courage 20 on it that I cannot seem to get working. I was mowing grass a while ago and noticed I was burning oil, so I took a look and I had cracked block and a sheared off bolt on the head. I replaced the bolt and repaired the cracked block and put it all back together and could not get it to start. So far I have replaced the battery, the fuel filter, the spark plug, cleaned the carb, and I adjusted the head valves back into spec; and it still wont start...

One thing I have noticed is that the exhaust valve is popping. When I spin the flywheel and the exhaust valve depresses it gets to a point and then it pops back to its original location, not like a smooth motion at all. Im thinking that could be my problem. What would cause that?

Thanks in advance!

will it try to start with starter fluid sprayed into unchoked carb inlet?

S

Snido

It tries to start now but only for about half a second and there is a knocking. Which when I took the OHV cover off thats when I found that the knocking sound was the exhaust valve snapping back into place after it had depressed, almost like its slipping or something.

S

shiftsuper175607

It tries to start now but only for about half a second and there is a knocking. Which when I took the OHV cover off thats when I found that the knocking sound was the exhaust valve snapping back into place after it had depressed, almost like its slipping or something.

You may have done the valve adjustment wrong.
tell us how you did that.

S

Snido

took the cover off and there is a hex had bolt that adjusts it and a set screw that locks it down. I turned the flywheel until the valve was completely extended and then I set the exhaust to 0.007 and the intake to 0.004 using a feeler gauge. Once it was in tolerance I held the hex head still with a wrench and tightened the set screw. After that I checked the tolerance again with the feeler gauge.

S

shiftsuper175607

took the cover off and there is a hex had bolt that adjusts it and a set screw that locks it down. I turned the flywheel until the valve was completely extended and then I set the exhaust to 0.007 and the intake to 0.004 using a feeler gauge. Once it was in tolerance I held the hex head still with a wrench and tightened the set screw. After that I checked the tolerance again with the feeler gauge.

I take the spark plug out to find TDC on that cylinder,
Adjust that valve as you describe.
Then repeat steps on other cylinder...finding TDC
I am not sure your procedure can find TDC accurately enough.

Let's see if we can get some more feedback, but my opinion is still that it is a valve adjustment problem.

On a B&S engine Walt Conner, a member here, had a procedure for engine with a compression release...which I think you have on the Kohler.

S

shiftsuper175607

I take the spark plug out to find TDC on that cylinder,
Adjust that valve as you describe.
Then repeat steps on other cylinder...finding TDC
I am not sure your procedure can find TDC accurately enough.

Let's see if we can get some more feedback, but my opinion is still that it is a valve adjustment problem.

On a B&S engine Walt Conner, a member here, had a procedure for engine with a compression release...which I think you have on the Kohler.

file:///C:/Users/phenomII955/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/Kohler-Service-Repair-Manual-Courage-SV470-SV480-SV530-SV540-SV590-SV600%20(1).pdf

page 10.10

S

shiftsuper175607

With the engine at TDC of the compression stroke, insert a 0.076 mm (0.003 in.) flat feeler gauge between one of the valve stems and the rocker arm. Tighten the adjustment nut with a wrench until a slight “drag” is felt on the feeler gauge. Hold the nut in that position and torque the set screw (T15 Torx drive) to 5.5 N·m (50 in. lb.). Perform the adjustment procedure on the other valve. Proper valve clearance is 0.076/0.127 mm (0.003/0.005 in.). See Figures 10-39 and 10-40.

S

shiftsuper175607

Another thread about this...with live link to Kohler engine manual

https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/23928-Kohler-Courage-22-hp

S

Snido

I will try to set it again tomorrow but would that be causing the exhaust valve to pop like that when i spin the flywheel? When the rocker arm compresses the spring past a certain point it like something slips and there is a pop and the rocker arm gets reset to the original position.