Kohler compression release failed?

ryan1327

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I have a Kohler CV15 -41608 (pull start).

-Put new rings on last week, re-assembled, started first pull and ran it for 5min. Tried to start again, unable to pull start due to compression.

- Disassembled, checked valves, ACR, made sure to bleed lifters, all looked ok.
Started, ran fine but same issue when tried to start again. What would cause this? Thanks!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First time I seen a Kohler with both hydraulic lifters and adjustable valve clearance. Did you set the valve clearance at TDC + 1/4" pass compression stroke?

From Service Manual.

• Adjustable Valve Lash Configuration

a. Position the push rods within slots in guide plate and seat the push rods into
sockets under the end of the rocker arms. Align the rocker arms over the valve stems.

b. Apply downward pressure to the push rod side of rocker arm, to compress the lifter
and "bottom" the plunger in the lifter bore. Hold in this position for Steps "c".

NOTE: It takes two hands to make the lash adjustment. You will probably need
a clamping device or an assistant to hold the lifter compressed while you
make the adjustment.

c. Insert a .07/.12 mm (.003/.005 in.) feeler gauge between the rocker arm and end of
valve, and turn the adjustment nut "clockwise" (down) until a slight drag is felt
on the feeler gauge.

d. Hold the adjustment nut from turning and tighten the set screw to lock it in position.
Torque the set screw to 7.3 N·m (65 in. lb.). After tightening, verify
lash is .07/.12 mm (.003/.005 in.); readjust if necessary.

e. Repeat steps "b", "c", and "d" on the other rocker arm.

ryan1327

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, valves are not adjustable. Sorry if unclear. The engine ran great right after reassembly both times. Acr mechanism was free and looked like it operated correctly. Could my lifters be bad and not hardening up with oil? Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Thanks, valves are not adjustable. Sorry if unclear. The engine ran great right after reassembly both times. Acr mechanism was free and looked like it operated correctly. Could my lifters be bad and not hardening up with oil? Thanks
I'm have to disagree based on the IPL that shows items 11 and 12 as the adjustment parts. Either that or someone changed out the label for the engine.
1658013458130.png
1658013691669.png