Kohler Command CV23s 75569 Cylinder Walls - Crank Case Pressure - No pulse for fuel pump

chuckpen

Threads
  • / Kohler Command CV23s 75569 Cylinder Walls - Crank Case Pressure - No pulse for fuel pump
I have a JD L130 with the Kohler CV23S with only about 150 hours on it.

Fuel pump stopped pumping is where the story starts.
1. replace fuel filter and fuel pump with metal Mukini, blew air thru gas lines to tank to ensure that was clear. Did not fix anything.
2. Compression test was 200 on cyl 2 and 175 on cyl 1.
2.5 If left to run there was oil mist spraying out of the open dip stick. So big time crank case pressure stopping the fuel from being pumped.
3. Engine had old style head gaskets so pulled heads on both sides. Cleaned and decarbonized heads. Did not really see a blown head gasket or evidence of a leak but gaskets looked just OK. I will also be lapping in all the valves and replacing the intake valve seals.
4. pulled both reed breather valves to inspect and saw nothing like a cracked reed. ordered and replaced both reeds and both retainers.

Upon cylinder inspection, both cyl walls have odd vertical strips all the way around the bore, with a symmetrical spacing. Like 1/8th inch strips. I can see the original honing marks in between. I did not have a cyl leak down tester to measure that before dis assembly.

So this leads to my question. Has anyone ever seen these vertical (up and down vertical) on an engine. They do not appear to be scoring but just wear markes. I just don't want to ignore these and end up with the blow by problem after all the other efforts.

This is a link to my OneDrive storage with pics of my Kohler. https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArnGeOEa09Yti947spPHQb4_bNbfkg?e=rETJB7

UPDATE:
I also just pulled the fan and bolt for the flywheel to check the shear. Unfortunately, you really cannot tell by looking to see if the crank shear pin is sheared. I did turn engine over by hand to TDC compression, (both lifters down) and noted that the flywheel magnet for each cyl was passing the ignition coil at the correct time. So roughly I think timing is OK.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Kohler Command CV23s 75569 Cylinder Walls - Crank Case Pressure - No pulse for fuel pump
Most of the time I have seen those lines they were running around the cylinder and not up and down. Most likely due to uneven heat distribution causing a uneven wear issue.

chuckpen

Threads
Most of the time I have seen those lines they were running around the cylinder and not up and down. Most likely due to uneven heat distribution causing a uneven wear issue.
Thanks for the reply.
so, a problem or let it go and put back together?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does the streaked area feel smooth or bumpy like it is uneven. May be more cosmetic than functional. Compression test look good so may not be an issue.

chuckpen

Threads
thanks again,

The streaks feel smooth, not gouged or rough.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
@slomo Kohler command with hydraulic lifters so no valve adjustment and no compression release. Over 160 psi is normal.

chuckpen

Threads
Thought to give a final wrap-up of the repair effort on the Deere L130. This is what I think fixed it. As a reminder, it had high crankcase pressure, NO pulse for the fuel pump (easy test is to just crank engine and put finger on the pulse line, you will feel the pulse if it is working), and was running extremely lean (due to no fuel), big backfires as well. Actually blew apart the muffler on one back fire.

1. torn down and pulled heads.
2. lapped in valves, checked head for flat. Couple valves looked like a lapping was needed, nothing bad, lapped in perfect.
3. upgraded head gaskets to new style. this was probably the fix and a big recommendation to any Kohler CV series engines.
4. replaced the two reed valves even though the old ones looked fine.
5. replaced the two ignition coils with new Kohler branded ones.
6. put on a new Mukini metal fuel pump.
7. went through carb but that was fine. Anti-backfire solenoid was fine. TIP: Just turn on key and you should here it click.
8. new intake and exhaust gaskets
9. new muffler.

TIP: I have seen references to zinc in the oil. I decided to go all Kohler on anything I used or replaced. I paid the freight $$$ for the Kohler oil and low and behold it has zinc in it. I think this is important for these engines and probably all older gas engines.

Running good now. thanks for the replies.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Walmart's Supertech SAE30 SG rated has zinc. Like 10 bucks a gallon.

slomo