Kohler 7000 KT725 won't idle, always full throttle

rightnitro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys, I have a 2015 cub cadet with a 22hp KT725. It will not idle when started, it just goes to wide open. I can push the throttle closed with my finger right on the carb, but if I let go, it goes back to wide open. Governor adjustment has been done... no change. Bad governor?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you done the static adjustment correctly then yes the governor has failed.

For guidance only. From service manual.

Initial Adjustment Procedure

Make this adjustment whenever governor arm is loosened or removed from cross shaft. Adjust as follows:

1. Make sure throttle linkage is connected to governor arm and throttle lever on carburetor.
2. Loosen nut holding governor lever to cross shaft.
3. Move governor lever toward carburetor as far as it will go (wide open throttle) and hold in this position.
4. Insert a long thin rod or tool into hole on cross shaft and rotate shaft clockwise (viewed from end) as far
as it will turn, then torque nut to 6.8 N·m (60 in. lb.).

Items 3 and 4 must held in position until until retainer is tighten.

rightnitro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, I took the engine out, hung it up on my workbench, pulled the lower case off. I see the governor in the pan, but I don't know how to confirm the governor is bad. I will say that even the slightest rotation throws the weights outward and raises the pin.

Startech, you say clockwise... but the Kohler 32-690-03 7000 series manual says counter-clockwise.

Attachments

• gov.jpg
    gov.jpg
    617.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited: