Kohler 23.5hp CV732 early engine failure info

JohnnyS2023

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kohler CV732 early engine failure info is what I’m looking for..

Just bought a Z725 60” Kubota ZT with 291 hours - less than 10 hours on the replacement engine. Owner took it in to have a service done, was told the elec clutch had shorted out causing engine failure, which was detected when the oil was drained. The cover on the engine has a sticker that says “replacement engine” with new serial number etc… The clutch was also replaced. The owner runs primarily diesel or Kawasaki gas, so he offered me a good deal on this one right out of the shop. My question is, how do I best monitor this one to prevent a now out of warranty situation - repeat of same failure?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ve got more questions than answers, but I’ll give it a try. My first questions are for the dealer.
Why are you saying the shorted clutch caused the engine failure? This would be a first for me.
What exactly was the engine failure? Broken rod, crank seizure, scored cylinder, etc.
How did you come to this diagnosis? Hole in block, discolored bearing, broken cam, etc.
Oil can tell you that a bad clutch caused the problem? This mechanic is psychic!!!
Never heard of a Kohler engine which will run on both diesel and gas, normally one or the other.
Sounds to me like this guy gave you a deal because he wanted it out of his sight, bet your warranty was less than 120 days, if any. This guy only gave you quick and basic answers for some reason, which has me wondering why.
Now to answer your question and remember these are just my opinions.
1. If you need service find a different dealer. I’ve got too many questions to trust this guy.
2. Set yourself up with a maintenance schedule.
A. Always use fresh gas, nothing over 45 days old.
B. Check oil level before each use.
C. Change spark plug, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter and grease unit before each season.
D. Blow all debris off unit after each use.
E. Sharpen blades and check belt condition before each season.
F. Let your gut be your guide. If you think something’s not right, check it out.
All this is just my suggestions, read my signature. I hope you have gotten a deal you were looking for, only time will tell.

Last edited:

JohnnyS2023

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’ve got more questions than answers, but I’ll give it a try. My first questions are for the dealer.
Why are you saying the shorted clutch caused the engine failure? This would be a first for me.
What exactly was the engine failure? Broken rod, crank seizure, scored cylinder, etc.
How did you come to this diagnosis? Hole in block, discolored bearing, broken cam, etc.
Oil can tell you that a bad clutch caused the problem? This mechanic is psychic!!!
I’m quoting a 2nd party, but actually read a few similar accounts online…. Supposedly, these clutches are shorting out to ground, causing catastrophic bearing failure.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry I didn’t finish my reply before I sent it.

JohnnyS2023

Forum Newbie
Threads
Never heard of a Kohler engine which will run on both diesel and gas, normally one or the other.
……

Guess my sentences kind of ran together.. He runs diesel mowers, and kawasaki gas engines.. no Kohler except this one. The failure at 290 hrs put a bad taste in his mouth even though the repair was free, so he sold it. He’s wealthy… can afford to do that kinda stuff, whereas that’s not the case for me. So, even though I have a 3 yr old commercial mower with a new engine, I’m trying to see if there’s some eminent failure with these 23.5’s that I can somehow avoid.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Probably still full of break in oil and all the metal shavings. Rich person would do zero maintenance I would guess.

As the others were getting to, I would go through it from top to bottom. Expect everything.

JohnnyS2023

Forum Newbie
Threads
Probably still full of break in oil and all the metal shavings. Rich person would do zero maintenance I would guess.

As the others were getting to, I would go through it from top to bottom. Expect everything.
Could be why the other one failed I guess… I just found it odd that he told me they replaced the clutch when replacing the engine, and that I found a similar thread online where another guy had bought a Kubota with a 23.5 that’d been replaced under warranty, same “situation“ came about with his replacement engine. And one of the responses was that the clutches short out, go to ground, and somehow cause top to bottom bearing failure. This engine is obviously new, oil is super clear/clean.. but I just ordered Kohler oil and filter … will change next weekend i think, and again pre next mowing season. I’m only mowing my 3 acres of grass, and my son normally mows the back acre with my Bad Boy every other week… so I won’t put 12 hours on this next oil change. Air filters look new too, as well as fuel filter.

Different topic, but man this Z725 will absolutely ROLL compared to my John Deere 727… I’m going to sell my JD after 15 yrs of faithful service and only 502 hrs on the Kawasaki… but my backup mower is a Bad Boy 54 inch w/Kawasaki that only has 40 hours on the entire mower so the ole JD will get rehomed

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just another reason I see too many red flags with this dealership. I don’t understand how a bad clutch can cause an engine failure. To me this dealership just saw $$$$ and someone who is not going to question what they are told. I’m going to try to get into the shop when the Kubota rep is there and see what he has to say. Wish my contact at Kohler had not retired.