Kohler 20hp SV601 won't start after mice damage

tripleadad68

Forum Newbie
Threads
Went to start my riding mower last week and it wouldn't start. I took the engine cover off and discovered a mouse nest on top of the engine and they had chewed through the spark plug wire. I ordered a new coil and installed it. It still isn't getting a spark. I made sure the coil has the correct gap between it and the engine magnate. I am at a loss where to check or how to run down the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure the wire coming off of the coil to ground hasn't also been chewed and is now grounding on the engine block.

tripleadad68

Forum Newbie
Threads
There are two wires coming towards the coil. One is white and plugs into the coil. The other is black and goes over the engine and connects somewhere underneath. The white wire looks fine. The insulation on the black wire was chewed off but the actual wire is intact. I used electrical tape to cover it back up.

On a side note - the engine does run when I unplug the white wire going to the coil.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Someplace that white wire or another location on the mower is grounding that wire preventing spark. Doesn't take much sometimes.

tripleadad68

Forum Newbie
Threads
It must be in the seat switch somewhere. All my other safety switches work. The engine won't turn over if the brake is off or the blades are set to run. I'm just going to leave that wire unplugged for now so I can get my grass cut. So just to sum up; with the white wire to the coil unplugged the seat switch has no effect but the brake and blade switches still work and the engine will turn off with the key.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The seat switch doesn't effect starting. Just effects running with the deck engaged or the brake released. It is shutting off because when you turn the key off it is killing power to the fuel solenoid on the carb.