Kohler 17 HP on Craftman 1000 Riding Mower

bigowl

Forum Newbie
Threads
My mower is 12 years old and has run well. Last year I took it to two different small engine repair guys who cleaned the carb and checked the timing, etc. Neither one could determine the problem and suggested I take it to a Sears repair. The mower starts just fine but runs for anywhere from 2 minutes to five and then quits. In trying to start it, it backfires and will not start again until it sits for an hour or so. Perhaps it is too old and needs to retire like me.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
My mower is 12 years old and has run well. Last year I took it to two different small engine repair guys who cleaned the carb and checked the timing, etc. Neither one could determine the problem and suggested I take it to a Sears repair. The mower starts just fine but runs for anywhere from 2 minutes to five and then quits. In trying to start it, it backfires and will not start again until it sits for an hour or so. Perhaps it is too old and needs to retire like me.

Find some model numbers off of the engine and/or the tractor, and we should be able to help.

bigowl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Find some model numbers off of the engine and/or the tractor, and we should be able to help.

Model #: CV490S

Thank You!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
can you give me the spec number as well?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just wanted to check a few details on the engine.

in general you need to determine the problem area, so have a spark tester and a can of carb spray handy.

Run it again until it acts up, then take off the air filter and try to start while spraying the carb spray directly into the carb, see if it starts and dies. If it does, loosen the gascap and try it again and see if it keeps running, if it does, then that was the problem.

Next, test for spark, if you have no spark, then let us know before replacing the coil.

bigowl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just wanted to check a few details on the engine.

in general you need to determine the problem area, so have a spark tester and a can of carb spray handy.

Run it again until it acts up, then take off the air filter and try to start while spraying the carb spray directly into the carb, see if it starts and dies. If it does, loosen the gascap and try it again and see if it keeps running, if it does, then that was the problem.

Next, test for spark, if you have no spark, then let us know before replacing the coil.

Sorry for the slow response. Been out of town. Today, I started the mower and it ran fine for about five minutes, so I turned on the mowers and started to mow. It did its usual thing and backfired and quit. I did what you suggested and sprayed the "fast start" into the carb. It started up and ran for about 20 sec. backfired and died. I sprayed it again but it would not start. I left it for about 30 minutes and came back and started it again. It ran fine for 10 minutes so I put it into mowing and mowed the whole lawn without a miss. First time in two years it has worked. Strange motor. I don't know how much longer it will work, but hope what ever was the matter has solved itself. Would a fuel pump be having a problem?? Thanks for your help. I may be back.

Rokon

Threads
Strange motor. I don't know how much longer it will work, but hope what ever was the matter has solved itself. Would a fuel pump be having a problem?? Thanks for your help. I may be back.

Sounds almost fuel related...But...

Kohler Courage? These engines have been known for valve train issues.

Also, take a look at the starter side of the engine case (you will kind of have to stand on your head to see it). Look for a vertical crack in the block/case in that area. Very common.

Had two of these come in this year with one or both of these problems. Horrible quality control on these. A real 'black eye' for the Kohler name IMO.