Knobby Tires For Better Front Traction On Cub Cadet RZT-SX 54

mboessen

Threads
  • / Knobby Tires For Better Front Traction On Cub Cadet RZT-SX 54
Hi all:

This will amount to a question and a warning. I recently purchased a cub cadet RZT-SX54 steering wheel zero turn. Awesome lawnmower. I can't say enough great about it. My local dealer could not supply one so I ordered it from mowers direct. It came with the front steering toed in pretty badly. I posted a thread about this. The end result was that I took it to our local dealer and they said it was definitely not right and realigned it. Now the wheels are straight. Drives and mows great.

One concern I had, since I will be mowing slopes with this, is that cub cadet supplies it with front tires that are basically what you would call "slicks". They have six tiny grooves about 1/8 inch wide and 1/8 inch deep. I decided to order some tires with more aggressive tread to hold better on the slopes. On the Internet I found what looked like a good choice from a website in Illinois called VMC Chinese parts:
13X5.00-6 - Knobby Tire - Coleman CK100, TaoTao GK80 EK80 E1-350 E1-500

The warning: These are terrible. Don't do this.
First, the inside diameter of the bead is too large and will not seal up on the rim if mounted tubeless. So I bought some tubes at harbor freight, not knowing I was throwing good money after bad.

Second, the rubber compound is extremely hard. Even at seven psi they ride like they were made of wood.

Third, the size is not correct. They say they are 13 inch tires, but they are actually 11 1/2 inches. Obviously not good for the front of a lawnmower to have tires that are too small.

I posted a negative review, and not surprisingly you do not see it when you check the reviews for this tire on their website. The one review they have there is five stars and obviously written by a Chinese person with English as their second language

Now to the question: before I order another worthless tire, can anybody recommend a tire with a little more aggressive tread that will actually be the correct size for my mower?

Any help greatly appreciated

Mike

Attachments

• chinese tire.JPG
    chinese tire.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 10

wrldtvlr

Threads
  • / Knobby Tires For Better Front Traction On Cub Cadet RZT-SX 54
Very strange. My RZT-SX54 (bought this season, manufactured in 2018) came with semi-pneumatic front tires. Totally smooth - no grooves at all and very hard. That said, as long as the ground is dry they track fine on my 20 degree slope.