kill wire problem

boydog40

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have electric start, briggs 11.5hp
will only start if the kill wire is not connected to the coil
of course i cannot shut the mower off with the key either!
what am i missing?
thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So some place between the engine through the wiring harness to the key switch to ground you have lost your ground. So broken wire from engine key switch. Bad connection at key switch. Failed kill in keyswitch, bad keyswitch to metal part of key mount, or bad connector of ground wire at keyswitch to mower connection.

If we had the model number of the mower maybe we could find a wiring diagram to help assist.

boydog40

Forum Newbie
Threads
apologies for delay, its a murray
model# 309001x08a
serial# 109041184
replaced the ignition switch - no change
traced the kill wire to a plug then it changed colors and went towards the key switch - still under investigation!
wire diagram would be a huge help if you can send me in the right place to obtain one!
thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
this model does not have a seat switch!
Then someone has deleted it as the 2004 model did have a seat switch per the IPL as the wiring diagram is from 2004.

And the serial does it is a 2004 model built on the 109th day of the year.

kbowley

Threads
thanks so much, ill stay in touch as to what i find
With the key off, measure the ohms at the magneto connection of the yellow wire. Check the ohms at the plug for the yellow wire that leads to the key switch. With the key turned off, the resistance should be zero all the way back to the M connector on the key switch. Examine the wire that leads to the switch's G connection as well as the wire to which it connects, it should have zero ohms. Please share the results with us.

boydog40

Forum Newbie
Threads
if seat switch was deleted i do not see where it was mounted nor do i see any loose wires!
i will check ohms as directed and thanks for the help guys!
will post findings