kill control cable on a push lawnboy mower model #680540

fj5gtx

Threads
  • / kill control cable on a push lawnboy mower model #680540
I thought I was being smart about storing this mower vertically and folding the handle. Not so smart though, because I inadvertently bent up the bail cable that kills the ignition when released. I looked up the part, like $80 OEM. There is no direct aftermarket cable I could find, I'm wondering if I can use one that may not be the direct fit cable... and if anyone has a suggestion, its model #680540.

The other question I have, is how does this cable release from the mower side of the mechanism? I looked at it and it doesn't seem obvious to me how I get it that cable out of there. I must be missing something.

Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / kill control cable on a push lawnboy mower model #680540
You’ve probably have one of the hardest units to replace an engine control cable on. A lot of disassembling is required to accomplish your goal. I’m sorry to say there is no manual available to help you out. My suggestion to you is to see if one of you local repair shops has a junker around that you can scavenge the part off. Before attempting to replace the cable take lots of pictures and then more pictures as you go through disassembly, so you have an idea how to reassemble. An assistant and patience will be your friend as you attempt this job. Expect to need a minimum of 90 minutes, unless you get very lucky.