Kawi FH541 17hp governor does not go back to idle speed when turned off

KlinkSanford

Threads
  • / Kawi FH541 17hp governor does not go back to idle speed when turned off
Fixing a Hustler Fastrack 36" with a Kawi FH541 17hp for a friend, put in new carb and adjusted everything to run at 3600 WOT and a nice idle speed. Only problem is that when I turn off the engine, the governor does not go back all the way to the idle stop. So, when I go to start it again, I have to always give it choke, then once it starts, and it starts easy, the governor moves the throttle back to the idle screw. No big deal to just start it always with choke, but something must be wrong there no?

txmowman

Threads
First, 3600 is not WOT. The only time a governed engine is at WOT is when it is at full load. With the throttle is at the rabbit, is high idle, not WOT.
Second, it is normal to have to choke the engine on restart. When the key is turned off, the fuel solenoid prevents any more fuel from being drawn up through the discharge nozzle. Yet, during the last few revolutions of the engine, before coming to a stop, the last bit of fuel is still being drawn out, so there is no 'prime' to restart the engine. Hence, need to use the choke.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also the governor will always pull the throttle plate to the wide open position when the engine is not running. Once the engine the mechanical governor will push the throttle to the idle position then as the throttle is open up the governor will override the governor tendency to cause the engine to idle thus increasing the governed engine speed.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Everything sounds right. It really doesn't matter where the throttle is when the engine isn't running as long as it comes back to idle while it is running. Some engines have to be choked on restarts. It is just the nature of the beast. Not all engines are the same.

KlinkSanford

Threads
Excellent, I thank you all for taking the time to respond to me.

God Bless