Kawasaki FJ180 U Choke

Gaffney

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I have a Snapper Commercial walk behind with a FJ180 motor. This was a true barn find. Unused but sitting for a number of years. I brought it home, cleaned the tank,changed out the oil and filter, put an in line fuel filter on it and has run like a top for two season.

I have never had to use the choke that is shown on the throttle control. It starts up a mid throttle. When I do push it into the choke position it just runs a bit faster. It does not kill the motor like other motors I’ve had.

I figure there must be some adjustment needed. I am not very familiar with this motor.

I am hoping someone might be familiar with the mower and the motor that could provide some guidance.

Thanks!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Carb linkage must be setup proper following the Kawi manual. If you push the rev lever all forward, it should stumble as the choke should be on. Should feel a detent about 3/4 throttle where no choke passes to choke. Low idle speed is like 1750 rpm. Fast or high idle is 3600rpm. Your engine manual is out there for free. Download, read it a couple times and get to work.

Here is another FJ180V with messed up throttle linkages. Every used mower like yours I've had was all jacked up. They run perfect if you follow the manual. THAT is the best engine on a push mower, end of message. Honda GVX160 Commercial has zero cutting torque compared to the Kawi. I buy every one like yours I can. Best pusher out there STILL to this day.

Gaffney

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the replies. I apologize for not getting back regarding this as I’ve ben out of town. I dug into it a little more and the bracket that attaches to the engine needed adjusting. Once I dialed it in, I could then push the throttle all forward and the choke works like it should.

I do like this mower! Thanks again!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Excellent sir. Thanks for getting back to us on your fix action.