Just procured a 725 Series Platinum mower.

sc2dave

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was given this lawnmower. The owner lent it out. i was told that the guy that used it,put oil in the fuel tank. He said that it didn't run any more after that. Gee, wonder why? Also, I want to change air filter and plug.Where can I get the part nos? Is it easy to remove head? Thank you in advance.i;m new to this site and to working on mowers and small engines. I want to find out what motor oil I need for this mower also.

sc2dave

Forum Newbie
Threads
I forgot, it is 7.25hp 190c.c.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Lets slow down and see if you can get us the actual model number of the mower and the actual model number of the engine. The mower model number should be on a tag some place toward the rear of the mower. the engine depending on brand and style can vary with the location. Could be on the blower housing above the spark plug which could be hidden under the plastic decretive cover. Could be on the flap that extends above the muffler, or with some of the newer Briggs engines could be laser etched into the side of the block, The model number of the engine is not on the emissions label

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like you have plenty of oil. Even where it doesn't belong LOL.

Drain everything out of the engine. Remove the plug and pull the rope. Let it sit for a day. Pull rope again to get most all the oil out. Add fresh oil where it belongs and gas. Might have to assist the ol' girl with starting fluid till the oil gets burned away. Then clean the plug and run the snot out of it at max revs.

sc2dave

Forum Newbie
Threads
i drained gas and oil out. I kept trying to start it but no luck.So I decided to drain out carb bowl. Found the problem! They actually had put in oil as fuel. The entire bowl was filled with motor oil! So I cleaned it out, sprayed starting fluid to help it start. It ran great after that. Slomo, next I will pull metal engine shroud and clean top of block and cooling fins. So what grade engine oil does this take? I don't mind using synthetic.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
i drained gas and oil out. I kept trying to start it but no luck.So I decided to drain out carb bowl. Found the problem! They actually had put in oil as fuel. The entire bowl was filled with motor oil! So I cleaned it out, sprayed starting fluid to help it start. It ran great after that. Slomo, next I will pull metal engine shroud and clean top of block and cooling fins. So what grade engine oil does this take? I don't mind using synthetic.
Plain ol' SAE 30w unless your outdoor ambient temp is below 50F. If so 5w-30 for cold weather only.

At least the oil protected the carb body from corrosion unlike E-10 gas LOL.

Once she stops smoking and running cleanly, clean the plug off with a wire hand brush. Or use a small flat blade or an angled pic tool. Little emery cloth on the electrodes......

Definitely pull the engine shroud YEARLY or more if you are bagging. Keep the fins and block clean and clear. Look all around the block, behind mufflers and such for grass piles and bugs. Stuff that doesn't belong there. Clean it down making it look like a new engine.

Good idea to torque check the head bolts if you have a torque wrench.

Last edited: