Export thread

Just got rip off by Gardner

StarTech

StarTech

Well I place an order earlier this week that Gardner split in two orders. First order I got a $13.99 normal shipping charge. The second part which was part in my initial order the Homelite items were only $5.61 total but they tack on a $20.75 shipping charge. Way out line for what was ordered. I am now putting them on a 6 month no order status which means I will not be ordering from them for 6 months.

mcostello

mcostello

My no order status would run the length of their natural life.

I

ILENGINE

@StarTech Been down that road myself. Gardner treats separate warehouse shipments as separate orders.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I looked into Gardner. Decided not to set up an account. Once had an on-line parts house want to charge me a special order fee on top of the shipping for a $5 part. No thanks. Got it off ebay for $8 with free shipping.

StarTech

StarTech

I do used my head on most small orders but meet the order minimum and some.

And the last time I had a problem with them it took seven months to straighten out so they lost a lot business to RBI last year.

Either way they will get less orders from me from now on as I got other vendors that fill the same part orders. I actually asked them to cancel all my current back orders and apparently they are refusing to do that too so the next phase kicks immediately and that is all orders that normally go to them will be rerouted to other vendors. At least I will know what I am paying up front so I can bill my customers correctly.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I like stens. No surprises. Only issue is all the out if stock items. They are stocking more AM cube carbs and carb kits. I am installing fewer and fewer OEM parts and more AM parts.

H

hlw49

Yes we two sell the AM parts when a spindle assy for a Cub Cadet $139.95. Buy the AM for a lot less and sell the three assys for $159.95. Huge savings for customer an we make a good profit.

StarTech

StarTech

I do have accounts with both Rotary and Stens but there are some things that you have to get OEM.

Mentioning Rotary some of the product are defective and I have to get credit for them or replacement items. Like the depth gauge tools I just got in where the .025 and .030 depths were both .032 so the tools were useless. And the one gauge wheel bolt completely threaded wrong (that slip by quality control at the factory). About four year I got in 5 Rotary Cub Cadet spindles that were defective. They got returned for credit. That when I learned what tapered bearings Cub Cadet was using and I rebuilt the three spindle at that time.

I also had problems with Stens parts too but every company will time to time have a problem as long they make good on the problem is all I ask.

I do have one item from Rotary that is on b/o right now and it been five months but I had stock on hand and wasn't worried until I ran out last week.

As for being out of stock is why I got multiple vendors online here. One or more out of stock but usually one has what I am needing.

But I agree Hammer it seems I am installing more AM parts here too.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I am almost out of RC12YC plugs and rolling up on a bunch of end of season service. Been out of stock at stens most of the year. Really??? May have to get a couple shop packs from the internet. when I need OEM I just suffer with ordering from Jack's even though most stuff takes a month or so. I don't use a lot of OEM stuff.

StarTech

StarTech

Just switch to NGK-2460 (BKR5ES) plugs. They are $2.02 from either Gardner or RBI. Stens is pushing the Torch plugs as a replacement for the RC12YC.

And if you insist on Champion Gardner and RBI both has the 71 (RC12YC) in stock. Few pennies cheaper than the NGK plugs.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Thanks

KM Richards

KM Richards

I am now putting them on a 6 month no order status which means I will not be ordering from them for 6 months.

That'll teach 'em! thumbsup2.gif

Of course they don't give a fat rat's back side...

StarTech

StarTech

That'll teach 'em! View attachment 67225

Of course they don't give a fat rat's back side...
But at least they not getting my money...for a while and I might even find someone else to buy from in the meantime. That what happen last time when I picked up RBI and Rotary.

This year alone RBI got $4758 so far and Gardner only got $917. I know it is just speck in the bucket. And this only part of the $23,000 I spent on parts so far this year.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

And this only part of the $23,000 I spent on parts so far this year.
Dang! I spend less than half that.

StarTech

StarTech

Just think what it would be if it wasn't for after market parts.

Just finished Scag Turf Cat where Scag wanted $2,100 just for the wheel motor. With aftermarket I got it down to $980 for the customer. Of course there were other repair parts used so he got out of the shop at $1,350. All the damage was cause by the previous shop not torquing the wheel motor nut to 200+ ft/lbs.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

LOL I don't do many $1000 jobs. More like $100 jobs.

StarTech

StarTech

Most mine are running in the 300-500 range this year. Although one just left two weeks ago that nearly $1K, last one left that was $1.4K and I just torn down one that probably going to be around $1.5K. It getting a new short block, the customer did an oil change and now he needs a short block at least. KOhler is taking 12-18 weeks for a new engine but was only 1-2 weeks to get me a short block. Now if I can get the flywheel off without breaking the ring gear. Just didn't want spend $300 for a puller but it look like have to.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I have never used a jaw type puller on a flywheel. Air hammer has always worked.

H

hlw49

Have had several in the $4K + range replacing the engine with a kit with the necessary hardware to up grade the mower to replacement engine since the Generac is NLA. It is something to see these people put that kind of money in an old Dixie Chopper with the manual blade engage. But they love these old mowers and never seem to wear out.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

$4K. Ouch! My last repower was like $1500 but it was an easy swap.

StarTech

StarTech

Definitely want to do your research before attempting a re-power.

Not all engine swaps are easy due additional items not fitting up and they must be changed too. This why I always recommend going back with the engine series whenever possible. Different PTO shaft requires different PTO clutch/or pulley and drive pulley. Mufflers are a lot of the time mounting differently. Wiring usually different so connections needs rewiring. All this adds labor time to the project as well.

Here the current Bad Boy with a blown KT740 would had needed a nearly 3K engine but the customer was willing to wait 12-18 weeks for the complete Kohler. I already had fun getting off the stuck on PTO clutch and drive pulley due BB not using anti-seize they rusted on. The I had to make a custom puller to get the flywheel off. No one in my area had 10+ inch puller. Today I am unboxing the short block and starting the reassembly of the engine which take several hours. Still looking like it going to be around $1500+ when I am finished. The short block was nearly $1000 including the $200 shipping charge.

And I just finish a Dixie Chopper LT2001 that customer attempted a re-power on. He pretty good putting the used engine and got lucky getting the same CV20 series considering there is no labels on the engine. But still costing another $600 in repairs. Electrical issues resolved, new choke cable, replaced bad cylinder head with one from the old engine, and repaired all the deck problems. Never seen before a cylinder head with a pinhole oil leak but that now on my list of rare problems. I would had not found it if wasn't for the UV dye.