Joining the club, new 460 in the house (okay, in the yard...)

wils

Threads
  • / Joining the club, new 460 in the house (okay, in the yard...)
My tractor mower finally gave me enough headache so went on a hunt for a new mower. Ended up with a Gravely 460. Have to say, this is a pretty manly machine!

I've got 4.6 hours on it, and something's up with the PTO. Mower runs fine but PTO won't engage. I'm going to have the shop pick it up this week and we'll see how this turns out. Visually everything seems fine, I didn't want to start digging into it too much since it's essentially brand new. Disappointing that I've had a hiccup so early in this relationship but I'm not even mad (so long as it gets squared away easily!).

I've got some pretty high grass and cactus here that my old mower couldn't even drive through, this thing is great... I put the deck up like for transport and run the blades and it'll get things in pretty good shape so I can see if I want to run through it again lower.

2021-06-20%2009.01.31.jpg

2021-06-20%2009.58.31.jpg

Here's an example of things going from pretty bad, to something I can work with now.

2021-07-01%2009.09.56.jpg

2021-07-01%2009.24.09.jpg

I was mulling over the 160 vs the 460 and felt compelled to go with the larger mower, and seeing the way it manhandles the areas of my land that have never been maintained before I think I made the right decision.

Anyway, thought I'd say hey and post a couple pictures!

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hopefully it’s something simple and your dealer will have you back in action before too long. I have a new 160. It had an early glitch too. It would try to shut down while running on the left fuel tank. I installed a new fuel filter and drained a little fuel from the left fuel line. It runs much better now and doesn’t try to shut down.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome & Congrats on the new Z Enjoy.

PS: Don't forget the "Early oil Change".. Usually under 10 hours, your Owners manual will state it.

What engine do you have there ?

wils

Threads
That would be the Kawasaki FX1000. I really liked the idea of the Yamaha EFI but I'm kind of remote and my dealer said they're having problems getting parts for anything other that Kawasaki right now.

Mower doesn't do me much good if it's in the shop.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
That would be the Kawasaki FX1000. I really liked the idea of the Yamaha EFI but I'm kind of remote and my dealer said they're having problems getting parts for anything other that Kawasaki right now.

I have the Yamaha MX800V on my 160. I just wasn’t going to buy a mower with EFI. My Gravely dealer does not stock units with EFI engines. He did say that he would special order any that a customer wanted.

Lawn Addict
Threads

True enough.. Enjoy, & that engine does require an early oil change to start life properly..