John Deere Mower Parts

D

Deleted member 97405

Has anyone used any of their stuff? Idler pulleys would seem like a fair gamble, but I've never had much longterm luck with aftermarket starters and PTO clutches. Quality was always junk compared to OEM, and you end up replacing them twice as often. If I catch a shop using aftermarket clutches and starters, I never go back, unless they're up front about it and make no attempt to hide the fact. If I see a used machine with these aftermarket parts on it, I always factor this into the purchasing price before buying. Some guys slap these parts on to make a quick sale/buck. Beware.
Here are some stats I keep in mind: An OEM PTO clutch under normal operating conditions will last 10-15 years on a residential lawn tractor. That means a lawn tractor will only usually need its PTO clutch replaced once during its lifespan. Same goes for starters. The key is to take care of your equipment and keep water off it. Water and lack of maintenance are the main culprits causing high expenses on lawn mowers. If you're having to replace these parts on a regular basis, something is not right. I've been in this business over 20 years and have watched so many people get bitten by inferior parts because they were cheap. That being said, if it's all your budget can afford, and you need to get your machine up and running, by all means, go for it. The above information is just for informational purposes for your consideration. Moral of the story, if you can afford to put OEM parts back on your machine, do it, because, statistically, it will cost you less longterm. Case in point, I'm still mowing regularly with the 1964 model 110 in my profile pic that my great grandfather bought new. He passed it to my dad, who passed it to me. It's mowed grass for 4 generations. It's never been restored, but it's always been maintained. If you maintain it, put the right parts on it, the right machine will last your lifetime....

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I used DB Electrical starters with good luck and I also use Xtreme PTO electric clutches with excellent results.

But I am leery of a lot of after market stuff on Amazon and eBay.

I do however replace Kohler inertia starters more then any other starter.

javjacob

Threads
Are these OEM or aftermarket parts?

I do agree aftermarket parts are money well wasted. I only buy OEM parts and I don't trust Ebay and especially not Amazon (scamazon) since they sell a lot of low quality Chinese parts listed as OEM. Ebay is only good for buying used parts. Amazon is good for nothing.

Spiderweb

Threads
Are these OEM or aftermarket parts?

I do agree aftermarket parts are money well wasted. I only buy OEM parts and I don't trust Ebay and especially not Amazon (scamazon) since they sell a lot of low quality Chinese parts listed as OEM. Ebay is only good for buying used parts. Amazon is good for nothing.
You got that right. I have a 50% chance with AOZAN!