John Deere-L130 PTO is engaged-Mower will not start now

jpwinn

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere-L130 PTO is engaged-Mower will not start now
Hello all,

I posted in the wrong forum! re-posting here!

I've searched a bit for something similar. As a disclaimer i am NOT mechanically inclined, but can follow directions pretty well

I have a JD L130. This weekend while mowing i noticed an electrical smell and a wisp of smoke from under the mower. I hit the PTO to turn it off. It would NOT turn off when i hit the switch! I tried it a couple of times while it was running, but no luck.

I turned off the machine (turned out to be a dumb move as i was in the way backyard...and it was 95+degrees) to investigate.

Couldnt see anything obvious. Tried to turn on, won't now. (cuz the PTO is still engaged i assume). Hit the button a few times, up down etc. nothing.

Decide to "push" it to the garage....see dumb move turning it off....oh my it was hot.

Anyway, i get it to the garage, pull apart the PTO switch on the dash, and hey! its melted! that must be the problem! bought a new switch, swapped it out.....and nothing....won't start, no lights, i do believe i have power though.

So, i threw an Ohm meter on the female part of the PTO switch wiring harness....Almost all female connections are "shorted out". I then unplug the harness from the PTO clutch. Short goes away.....

So....i'm thinking....its the clutch that has just crapped out on me...

What are your thoughts and guidance?

Its a L130 (John Deere), about 8 years old, give or take.

thanks, in advance!

Jeff

BBO

Threads
  • / John Deere-L130 PTO is engaged-Mower will not start now
This weekend while mowing i noticed an electrical smell and a wisp of smoke from under the mower. I hit the PTO to turn it off. It would NOT turn off when i hit the switch!
So, i threw an Ohm meter on the female part of the PTO switch wiring harness....Almost all female connections are "shorted out".
So....i'm thinking....its the clutch that has just crapped out on me...

I would think you are possibly & sadly correct.
It wish it had blown a fuse before cooking the switch, but I am not familiar at all with your mower wiring.

Likely you will want to be sure about this because a new clutch is probably close to $ 175 just for the part.