John Deere L110 will not start/run

goatbreath

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere L110 with a Kohler 17.5 HP Model # CV491S, Serial #3302502241, Family # 3KHXS.4902GB, Spec # 27509, Displ (CC) 490
It all started by cranking and running the engine , then lots of white smoke and gas/oil? coming out of muffler, the engine stopped and will not restart.
I can only get it to run by pouring gas into the carburetor, it runs for 2-3 seconds and smokes badly white smoke and stops. I have cleaned the carburetor 2 times , the carburetor bowl always has plenty of gas in it so I'm pretty sure the fuel pump is ok. The solonide on the bottom of carburetor is working properly (when 12 volts applied the plunger moves down). I have removed flywheel and flywheel key is ok. I checked the valves and from what I read the valves are hydraulic lifters and are not adjustable. When turning the flywheel by hand the pushrods operate properly opening and closing the valves. The intake valve is open and closes just prior to flywheel magnets matching up with coil prongs. I have a good blue spark. Compressior is 95 psi. Spark plug is firing and even tried another spark plug.
The thing I don't understand is why engine will not start by using the carburetor along (not pouring gas manually in) . The carburetor choke is working, it fully closes. Why all the white smoke?
I'm thinking maybe an oil ring broken? Maybe a bad cam? Maybe burnt valves?
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Mike

goatbreath

Forum Newbie
Threads
One more thing : when both valves are fully closed the rocker arms will just barely move sideways/updown. The push rods will spin when valves are closed.