John Deere G85 project for son

vtpeerock

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all,
Got a 1999 GX85 gifted to me to fix up for my son to learn how to maintain amd drive. It's been sitting for years and just starting to pull the basics now to get engine running. The 13HP factory Briggs on this thing (Briggs & Stratton 28M707 per Tractor Data) doesn't seem to have an oil filter.... Is this true? It's like a giant push mower engine with no filter? Thanks in advance. I'm sure there will be more questions and issues.

Attachments

• image000001.jpeg
    image000001.jpeg
    359.1 KB · Views: 3

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You’re a good DAD trying to do the right thing. I would suggest 2 things to help him out and keep his interest. Using the engine numbers you should be able to find him a free Briggs service manual PDF on the internet. Second, I wound contact your local JD dealer and buy a service manual for the unit. Both of these will help hold his interest and be more valuable than the tools in the box.

vtpeerock

Forum Newbie
Threads
You’re a good DAD trying to do the right thing. I would suggest 2 things to help him out and keep his interest. Using the engine numbers you should be able to find him a free Briggs service manual PDF on the internet. Second, I wound contact your local JD dealer and buy a service manual for the unit. Both of these will help hold his interest and be more valuable than the tools in the box.
Great advice and ideas Rivets. Thanks. I still don't think this thing had an oil filter. I've pulled everything else - fuel pump, carb, air filter, fuel filter.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most 28M707 engines did not have an oil filter.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most 28M707 engines did not have an oil filter.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
GX85 cames Briggs 28707-1147-E1 L head engine.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Small engines are a perfect place to start a young one on. Great job!!!

Oddjob

Threads
Hey all,
Got a 1999 GX85 gifted to me to fix up for my son to learn how to maintain amd drive. It's been sitting for years and just starting to pull the basics now to get engine running. The 13HP factory Briggs on this thing (Briggs & Stratton 28M707 per Tractor Data) doesn't seem to have an oil filter.... Is this true? It's like a giant push mower engine with no filter? Thanks in advance. I'm sure there will be more questions and issues.
I just finished renovating an RX75 that had been sitting under a deck for 12 years. Can’t help with the engine since mine has a 9HP Kawasaki. I own the JD maintenance manual and it is worthwhile having. Taryl Fixes All has a video on these John Deere RER’s. Highly recommend viewing it. His technique for accessing underneath is better than the one in the Deere manual. He turns the machine on its side, carburetor up, and catches the steering wheel on a jack stand. As he says, once you try working on these compact little mowers you’ll see why a shop charges so much to fix them. I have/had a Snapper RER, a Troybilt Bronco, and a John Deere front engine lawn tractor. I could change belts on all three of those in the same time as it took me to do the RX75. This machine has inspired some colorful language, but now that all the gremlins have been excised, it is a great mower. Hope the mice have left some wires intact. Have fun, it is worth the pain. One last thing. If you need belts, use OEM JD. Generics don’t fit JD pulleys very well.