John Deere engine problems

THEZMAN

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere 115 automatic with a briggs and stratton 19 horsepower.It has less than 200 hrs and is about 6 years old.Bought it at Lowe's.It started smoking and running rough,so I took it to my local " mower guy " and he said it was getting gas in the oil.I asked him,why is this.And he said , and I quote, " I don't know ? " I have to change the oil every time I use it because it turnes jet black and i have to remove the plug., and wire brush it because it is caked up with carbon.It ,according to the manuel, takes 1 and a quarted quarts of oil when u drain it along with the filter,but all I can ever get out of it is around 28 ounces.It also smokes when you get going, or cut through tall grass,but stops after awhile.Please help me.I can't afford a another mower.Bought this one hopeing it would be my last.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First, get a new mechanic, your's is way behind the times. Your problem is a very common one today and the solution is not costly. The problem is the float needle is no longer seating properly and the needle and seat needs to be replaced. Have your new mechanic clean the carb throughly before installing the new parts. I suggest that you start using non ethanol fuel if it is in your area, to help stop this problem in the future. Good luck, but you won't need it with a good mechanic.

OLBIKER

Threads
If you have a hard time starting it you can dump raw gas in the cylinders which seeps past the rings into your sump.You should be able to smell the gas on your oil dipstick.Like the other poster said junk in your needle valve and the gas just drains out of the bowl.You can do the same thing with bad plugs and too much choke.OB