John Deere E180 - thread fitting on deck for Zerk fitting is stripped

Mtnebo

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere E180 - thread fitting on deck for Zerk fitting is stripped
Hi,
I have a John Deere E180 - and the thread fitting on the deck(Spindle) for the Zerk fitting is stripped. the Zerk fitting doesn't tighten....
Is it strange that JD put sealed bearings in the original spindles, yet they still put a grease fitting on the housing....
I've seen some comments that JD put the grease fitting on, just to make people feel better and doesn't really do anything since bearings are sealed......
Can I just seal the hole for the Zerk fitting and leave it until the spindle fails ?? do I really need to replace the whole spindle??

Any feedback or thoughts are appreciated...
thanks steve

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Since the bearing are sealed just sealing off the Zerk should be fine.

Or you disassemble the spindle, drill and tap to next larger zerk fitting, clean out the metal filings, install the new zerk, and reassemble things. A lot work and you still can't grease the sealed bearings. At least you take the spindle you can check the bearings and re-grease them if needed by popping one the seals and then put the seal back when done. Here I repack most new sealed bearing; unless, they using the metal shields which very to remove without damage. The rubber coated seals pops fairly easy.

Edit: They use 6203-2RS bearings which can be replaced 6203-ZZ bearings which can greased if the inner seal is removed.

Last edited:

SARG

Threads
I agree with the other posts....... a little JBWeld will seal the spindle.
I've replaced the bearings on a couple noisy MTD decks and found it remarkably easy.... but they have the same top & bottom bearings and I bought a "roll" of the bearings for little money. Just pop the top spindle nut with an impact wrench and pull the spindle out of the housing by the blade end.
I read an article years ago that they still put the zerks onto the spindles with sealed bearings to fill the cavity as a heat sink ....... but it creates a real mess when changing out the bearings and I doubt it makes the bearings last any longer.
My Husky 2354 has two size bearings.... one being pressed on the spindle ... so it's easier to buy a spindle kit to replace ....... either way it is an easy repair.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
please don't post duplicate threads on the same subject. You will just make it harder on yourself.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree with the other posts....... a little JBWeld will seal the spindle.
I've replaced the bearings on a couple noisy MTD decks and found it remarkably easy.... but they have the same top & bottom bearings and I bought a "roll" of the bearings for little money. Just pop the top spindle nut with an impact wrench and pull the spindle out of the housing by the blade end.
I read an article years ago that they still put the zerks onto the spindles with sealed bearings to fill the cavity as a heat sink ....... but it creates a real mess when changing out the bearings and I doubt it makes the bearings last any longer.
My Husky 2354 has two size bearings.... one being pressed on the spindle ... so it's easier to buy a spindle kit to replace ....... either way it is an easy repair.
Yes MTD spindle shaft usually comes out. But the JD GY21099 spindle shaft must be driven out and the top spindle retainer must be driven back on.

Yes the AYP/Husqvarna lower spindle shaft bearing do come out with the shaft and then a bearing separator is use to remove the bearing. And the new bearing is driven back on using the spindle shaft spacers or anvils to drive against the inner bearing as to not damage the bearings and races. I usually have several spacers on hand to do this using a 2# brass hammer. A similar procedure is used on the JD spindles.

Mtd spindles uses two 6204-2RS bearings
AYP/Husqvarna spindles uses a 6203-2RS and a 6204-2RS.

Just to give an idea of all the bearings that I must stock just do quick turn around of repairs.
1665951606346.png

Last edited: