John Deere D125

Howdy Doody

Threads
I was wondering if I might get some suggestions from you John Deere experts. My D125 mower is not mowing very good even on flat ground, very uneven. Even worst when I turn a sharp corner or hit a low spot. I checked all of the linkage on the deck, both blades are new, tire pressure and deck lift linkage and it all looks ok. What else might I be missing that would cause it to mow poorly?

gotomow

Threads
Have you leveled the deck as per your operating manual? If you have then I would urge you to go to a more precise method and check the deck level at the blade tips.
An optional mower deck leveling gauge (AM130907) is available from your John Deere dealer. It allows for precision mower deck leveling by measuring mower deck level at the blade tips.

Howdy Doody

Threads
Gotomow - I have not tried that method, I have only measured from the edge of the deck on the sides and the ends. One thing I did find curious is in order to level the deck on the sides, they have these long hook bolts with a nut on the ends. This is supposed to be one of 3 similar points on the deck that can be used for this adjustment. Funny thing is one side is definitely off by about 1/2", but in order to get them both level the left side bolt does not seem long enough to compensate at the lowest setting. I did hit a root a while back that bent one of the spindles and blade and I replaced the whole assembly. When I did this I checked the deck to see if it was bent and it did not look bent. I wish this thing had 4 wheels on the deck, but it only has 2 so sometimes if I am not careful one side will dip and scalp. Also wondering if maybe the belt needs adjusting and the pullies are losing traction. I know this does not have anything to do with the uneven deck, but might help with the cut quality.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bent a spindle and a blade. Might be a clue there. Take the deck off and place the blade tips as close together as you can. Is the one you replaced exacty level with the other one? Align the blades in a straight line and place a straight edge like a 4 ft level across the blades. Are the blades flat to the straight edge? If it passes these tests see if the deck sits flat on concret floor. If it does then check the deck suspension to the tractor. When you level the deck you measure to the outermost blade tip and not the deck shell. How long do you mow the grass?