John deere 125 engine?

Paintfreak

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am searching for a engine for my grandfather's old lawn tractor. He past 8 years ago he bought it brand new. My brother was using it at my grandmother's house 4 years ago. And said he thinks the motor is shot. I would like to bring it back to its former glory. It's a 125a with a Briggs and stratton 20 hp ohv. But the part number on john deere website isn't bringing up anything. I was wondering if anyone knew the product number. Or a replacement number I could use. Everything on it was replaced 5 years ago. And to my knowledge the only thing it needs is a motor. I am an automotive mechanic. I've never messed with small engines so any help would be great. And thanks for any input

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
how about supplying us with the model type and code from the engine. If the intek type engine numbers will be on the valve cover or on the blower housing. If Vanguard then could be on a metal tag on the blower housing or on a metal tag close to the oil filter. And then we can give replacement engine suggestions.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
By being a mechanic you should still at least take a look at the mower before writing off the engine. As IL said we need the model and type number of the engine which can also be on one of the valve covers.

It appear to be 40 CI v-twin which is no longer available so new engine would need spec'd out to fit. Most likely it will be a slightly larger hp engine as long you get a matching PTO length and diameter on the crankshaft. Wiring will be slightly different too.